FileMaker Pro 12-15
FileMaker Server 12-15
macOS X 10.6.x – 10.12
Manipulate any information on your disk
Troi File Plug-in lets you deal efficiently with any files or folders outside the database. All from within FileMaker Pro you can:
- get data from files that are on the disk of the computer into FileMaker Pro
- create files anywhere on the hard disk and put data from FileMaker fields into them
- manipulate files and folders on the disk: this includes creating, deleting, copying, moving and modifying files and folders
- query detailed information of files and folders: the size on disk, creation and modification dates and much more
- launch and reveal files directly from FileMaker Pro
- manage your images and movies: get images and their metadata (IPTC, Exif, GPS, XML) inside your FileMaker database and write IPTC and Exif metadata too!
69 Functions give you ample power
Troi File Plug-in adds 69 functions to FileMaker Pro, giving you virtually limitless possibilities! Here we give you just some examples of what you can do with this plug-in:
Zip and unzip files and folders
The plug-in’s CreateZip function lets you create a compressed archive of files and folders. Expanding ZIP files is easy with the UnZip function. You can specify the folder where the unzipped items need to be placed. The GetZipInfo function lists the items (files and folders) inside a ZIP file. This allows you to check what’s inside a ZIP file before you unzip it, so no unwanted overwriting of existing items occurs.
Powerful listing of folders and searching
Troi File Plug-in lets you recursively list the contents of a folder with one call to the plug-in. The plug-in will return a list of all files and/or folders and all the subfolders contained in the folder you are listing. This makes processing all the items in a deeply nested folder very easy, like for example listing all the Word documents contained in a folder.
On macOS you can optionally even list the internal contents of a package folder (like for example a macOS app).
Insert text into a file
Troi File Plug-in can substitute text in and append text to an external (text) file. You can search for a text string in a file and substitute it with another text. You can substitute text and have the result saved in the same file! And you can use replace strings of up to 150,000,000 characters, making it possible to substitute tags with much longer replacements in template files. With the function TrFile_InsertContents, you can insert text into a file at a specified position.
Get file icons
The GetIcon function gets the icon of a file. It can create icons in sizes varying from 16×16 to 1024×1024 pixels and with double resolution, which is great for retina screens.
Present your image thumbnails in a grid and create transparent thumbnails
With Troi File Plug-in you can create thumbnails of your image files in any size, including square thumbnails, which is great for presenting multiple images to a user in a compact grid. We have added a grid view to the Thumbnail example file, which demonstrates (in a simplified way) how to do this. We also added the possibility to add a name when creating a thumbnail with the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function. The name is normally not visible, but will be used for example when you perform an Export Field Contents action later. Another feature is the possibility to make thumbnails in the PNG format, with an alpha channel. This means that the thumbnail will have the same transparent areas as the original image.
Manage your media
Troi File Plug-in allows you to retrieve extensive image and movie data like width, height and depth, and much more. While we were at it we also added an extensive example file ManageMedia.fmp12. This example file combines some of the Troi File Plug-in’s functions to create a powerful Media Manager for images ànd movies. It shows how to import one or multiple images from a folder. It also retrieves a wealth of metadata like width and height, IPTC metadata (amongst others caption, description, keywords, copyright) and Exif metadata. Exif metadata is information about the time a photo was taken, aperture, shutter speed and the like. And did we mention the example file also works with movie files?
With Troi File Plug-in you can write EXIF and IPTC metadata information to your image files. By using the “-SetImageURL” switch you can set the Photoshop Image URL metadata (not part of the official IPTC specification). The “-UTF8CharSet” switch can be used together with the “-SetIPTC” switch. This will write the IPTC data encoded as UTF-8 text and will set the CodedCharacterSet tag in the written image file (which indicates the encoding) to UTF-8.
Get the type of an item
The function TrFile_GetTypeOfItem provides an easy way to see if a path points to a folder or file.
Get and Set creation and modification dates of files and folders
The TrFile_GetDateCreated and TrFile_GetDateModified functions and their variants, like TrFile_GetTimestampModified, will get the creation and modification date of a file or a folder. Moreover, you can also set the creation and modification date of a file or folder, using the TrFile_SetTimestampCreated and TrFile_SetTimestampModified functions.
Drag your files and mails into FileMaker Pro
Troi File Plug-in allows you to drag one or more files or folders on a FileMaker window or even a drop zone. The paths of the dropped items can then be handled by a triggered script, for example to put them in a container field. You can specify up to two drag destination rectangles (even on the same window), and each drag can trigger a different script.
The drag and drop functionality includes Mail Drop (macOS only). You can drag one or more emails from the Mail.app to the FileMaker window. Add the switch “-AllowMailDrops” to the switches parameter of TrFile_DragAndDrop function to enable this extra functionality. The DragAndDrop example file reflects the Mail Drop functionality with an extensive example demonstrating the handling of single and multiple Mail Drops.
Command your shell
With the TrFile_ExecuteShell function you can execute a command in the command shell of the operating system. On macOS this will be a command executed in the UNIX Bash shell, and on Windows this is the Windows CMD shell.
Troi File Plug-in can be used in a lot of ways. Its 69 functions give you a universal tool that can be used in a lot of databases. Below are a few suggestions on how Troi File Plug-in can be useful:
- list the contents of a folder and process newly added files
- check the integrity of files on disk
- update solutions, by moving (database) files into place
- read and write custom formatted files, for example from legacy systems
- catalogue complete projects, including pictures
- manage images, movies and other files
- launch files with their appropriate application directly from FileMaker Pro
The possibilities are only limited by your imagination!
Try Troi File Plug-in before you buy
You are free and invited to test the plug-in before you pay. Troi File Plug-in is fully functional in demo mode, it will only stop working after 2 hours of testing. Download your copy here.
Troi File Plug-in 8.6.1
Troi File Plug-in 8.6.1 is a maintenance release which has better handling of zip files with the UnZIP function, when items are in a subfolder, but the subfolder itself is not present. It also improves the parsing of the metadata of newer PDF versions, like PDF 1.7. On macOS we added timecode info to the result of the TrFile_MetaData( “-GetMovieDescription”) function. We improved the multi-threading behavior of several functions when running multiple scripts at the same time on FileMaker Server. Furthermore we fixed a bug in the TrFile_SetContents and TrFile_AppendContents functions where extra spurious characters could be written to a file using encoding: -Encoding=ASCII_Windows, when the text contained combining unicode characters. And we improved the DragAndDrop function to prevent a potential memory leak (when drag and drop handling was not correctly stopped) and a potential crash (when restarting drag and drop multiple times).
See the Version history below for a complete list of changes in this and earlier versions.
Version 8.6.1 (for FileMaker 12 to 15) (January 20, 2017)
- (Windows) Improved the handling of certain ZIP files with the TrFile_UnZIP function: the plug-in will now implicitly create a folder when items in the ZIP file are in a subfolder, but that subfolder itself is not present.
- Improved TrFile_MetaData( “-GetPDFDescription”): the plug-in can now better parse newer PDF versions, like PDF 1.7. And if there is a parsing error the plug-in returns the partial data.
- (Mac OS X) Improved TrFile_MetaData( “-GetMovieDescription”): when a movie contains a Timecode track, the Timecode at the beginning and end of the movie and the Timecode of the current frame is returned again as part of the description.
- Improved the multi-threading behavior of the TrFile_Metadata function. Multiple running scripts on FileMaker Server at the same time will now work better.
- Improved the multi-threading behavior of the TrFile_Substitute function. Multiple running scripts on FileMaker Server at the same time will now work better.
- Fixed a memory leak in the TrFile_Substitute function.
- Fixed a bug in the TrFile_SetContents and TrFile_AppendContents functions where extra spurious characters could be written. This could happen when a text which contained combining unicode characters (for example a combining diaeresis, combining to ä) was written to a file using encoding: -Encoding=ASCII_Windows.
- (Mac OS X) Improved stopping of the drag and drop handling and removed a potential memory leak.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a potential crash in the TrFile_DragAndDrop function, when restarting drag and drop multiple times.
- (Windows) Added an exception handler, which handles (fatal) exceptions in the plug-in. It will save information on the exception to a dump file in the Temp directory. The dump file will be named similar to this:
“Crashdump Troi File Plug-In v8.6.1-20161231-212603-5488-3164.dmp”.
When running FileMaker Server the plug-in also writes the exception in the “Troi Plugin FMServer.log”:
- 2017-01-01 21:26:03 [Troi File Plug-In] Exception raised. code = -1073741819
- 2017-01-01 21:26:03 [Troi File Plug-In] Created crash dumpfile:
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\Crashdump Troi File Plug-In v8.6.1-20170101-212603.dmp
- 2017-01-01 21:26:03 [Troi File Plug-In] **** FATAL ERROR: EXIT PROCESS ****
- (Mac OS X) Improved export of symbols: now only the symbols that are required are exported by the plug-in.
- Improved the internal registration of function calls of the plug-ins, making it more robust on more platforms.
Version 8.6 (for FileMaker 12 to 15) (September 28, 2016)
- Tested and improved compatibility with macOS Sierra (Mac OS X 10.12).
- Added new TrFile_GetIcon function, which gets the icon of a file. It can create icons in sizes varying from 16×16 to 1024×1024 pixels and with double resolution for retina screens.
- Added new switch “-CreatePNG” to the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function: this will give as result a thumbnail in the PNG format, with an alpha channel. This means that the thumbnail will have the same transparent areas as the original image.
- Improved support for PDF/X files: you can now see whether a file confirms to the PDF/X standard. Use this function call: TrFile_MetaData( “-GetPDFDescription” ; filePath ). This will return the version of the standard, for example: GTS_PDFXVersion: PDFX-1:2001.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a problem in the TrFile_MetaData function with the switches “-GetImageDescription”: this function now returns a resolution of 72 (instead of 0) for the horizontal and vertical resolution for JPEG images that don’t have an explicit resolution set.
- (Windows) Fixed a problem with the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function: transparant areas in PNG images are now rendered to white (as they are on Mac OS X).
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a problem with the TrFile_DragAndDrop function when dragging mail: email messages with a pound sign (“#”) in the subject of the email are now handled properly.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a bug in the TrFile_CreateZIP function: file paths with accents in the name now no longer return error code $$15.
- (Mac OS X) fixed a bug in the TrFile_MountDisk function: paths to secure WebDAV servers (with protocol https) are now properly handled.
- Made small improvements to the DiskMount.fmp12 example file.
- Updated the Overview.fmp12 file regarding obsolete FSSpecs.
Version 8.5 (for FileMaker 12 to 15) (May 10, 2016)
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 15.
- Added new TrFile_ZIPInfo function, which lists the items (files and folders) inside a ZIP file.
- Added new TrFile_UnZIP function, which expands a ZIP file into a specified folder.
- Added -SkipDS_Store switch to the TrFile_ZIPInfo function, which will remove .DS_Store files from the result. Mac OS X stores extra info in these hidden files.
- Added -SkipHiddenMacOSXItems switch to the TrFile_ZIPInfo function, which will remove from the result all items which are in a __MACOSX folder in the ZIP. Mac OS X stores extra info and resource forks of files in this __MACOSX folder.
- Created the ZIPAndUnZIP.fmp12 example file. Removed the older CreateZip.fmp12 example file.
- Added new TrFile_CreateAlias function, which creates an alias file (on OS X) or shortcut (on Windows) from the source file or source folder.
- Further improved the multi-threading behavior of the plug-in when running in FileMaker Pro 15.
- Improved the example file EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12, to provide more help when an installation error occurs.
- Added description and type-ahead information for all functions of the plug-in. This extra function description will be shown in FileMaker Pro 15 in the Specify Calculation dialog box when you type a function name and also as a text popup in the functions pane on the right.
The type-ahead information is used by the auto complete functionality of FileMaker Pro 15. In the calculation pane of the Specify Calculation dialog box you can type a letter or two of the function name and instantly see a list of matching function names. For example when you type “ap”, the auto complete functionality will suggest the TrFile_AppendContents function. You can also type a function name in the functions pane on the right: for example if you type “fold” you will see all the functions relevant to folders, like TrFile_CopyFolder.
- Fixed several bugs, rewrote and modernized the code in several places and made further improvements.
- Updated the User Guide and the Overview.fmp12 file.
Version 8.0.6 (for FileMaker 12, 13 and 14) (March 10th, 2016)
- (Windows) Added new implementation for TrFile_Metadata(“-GetImageDescription”, … ) when running in 64-bit mode.
- Added new “-TimeoutSecs=x” switch to the TrFile_CreateZIP function. With this switch you can change the timeout time, which can be useful for creating very big ZIP files.
- Fixed a problem with the TrFile_CreateZIP function: when it timeouts now the correct error $$-4230 kErrTimeOut is returned.
- (Windows) Fixed a bug in the TrFile_Reveal function: the plug-in now properly reveals files, where the path is formatted as a FileMaker style path (i.e. starting with: “filewin:”).
- (Mac OS X) Improved the TrFile_CopyFile and TrFile_CopyFolder function: fixed an issue where error code $$-5000 (afpAccessDenied) could occur, when copying items to a SMB disk on a (Windows) server.
- (Mac OS X) Improved the TrFile_CopyFile function: improved copying of files into drop folders.
- Improved the log text when running FileMaker Server: more information is added to the log.
- Improved the log text when running FileMaker Server: after an unsuccessful attempt to register the log now adds the (incorrect) register text used.
- (Mac OS X) Improved multi-threading behaviour of the functions TrFile_SelectFileDialog, TrFile_SelectFolderDialog and TrFile_SaveFileDialog and the flash dialog.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a bug in the TrFile_ExecuteShell function, where it could incorrectly return error code $$4 (EINTR).
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a problem with the TrFile_DragAndDrop function when dragging mail: email messages with a question mark in the subject of the email are now handled properly.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a (crashing) bug with the TrFile_DragAndDrop function when dragging multiple emails.
- (Mac OS X) Improved the DragAndDrop.fmp12 example file: it now better handles the email structure of the Mail.app of OS X 10.9 to OS X 10.11.
Version 8.0.5 (for FileMaker 12, 13 and 14) (November 23rd, 2015)
- Added new switch “-IgnoreAlphaChannel” to the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function: this will ignore the alpha channel (make it completely opaque) before creating a thumbnail. This helps to make proper thumbnails of images that have an inverted alpha channel. This switch currently only has effect on Mac OS X.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a bug with TrFile_CreateThumbnail function and PDFs: in some cases the thumbnails created from PDFs would only be 8×8 pixels in size.
- (Windows) Improved the TrFile_Substitute function: when using substitute in place the function is more robust.
- (Mac OS X) Improved the TrFile_CopyFile function: removed a possible source for error code $$-5000 (afpAccessDenied).
- (Mac OS X) Fixed an inconsistency in the TrFile_DragAndDrop function with the 64-bit version of FileMaker Pro 14: a colon is now added at the end of the path for folders dragged onto a drop zone.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a bug with TrFile_DragAndDrop when running with FileMaker Pro 14 in 32-bit mode: the plug-in no longer returns error code $$-5600.
- (Windows) Fixed a bug with the TrFile_GetDateCreated and TrFile_GetDateModified functions: when used for getting dates of folders in some cases the plug-in would return an error code. This bug is also fixed for the variant functions, like for example TrFile_GetTimestampModified.
Version 8.0.4 (for FileMaker 12, 13 and 14) (September 24th, 2015)
- Tested and improved compatibility with Windows 10.
- Fixed a problem in the TrFile_LaunchFile function when opening an application: the opened application now stays in front.
- (Mac OS X, 64-bit) Fixed a bug in the TrFile_DiskInfo function: in some cases the wrong free space and used space could be returned.
- (Mac OS X) Improved the TrFile_FindFolder function for the “startup” switch: it will now return the correct path.
- (Mac OS X) Improved the TrFile_FindFolder function for folders that are no longer available (like the folder Control Panels). It will now return $$-1.
- (Mac OS X, 64-bit) Improved TrFile_Metadata(“-GetImageDescription”, … ) functionality: the result will now also show the Tiff Compression, for TIFF formatted images.
- (Mac OS X, 64-bit) Improved TrFile_Metadata(“-GetImageDescription”, … ) functionality: for Photoshop files the codec will now be set again to “8BPS”.
- Updated several example files: DeleteFile.fmp12, DiskInfo.fmp12, DiskMount.fmp12, ExecuteShell.fmp12, FileManipulation.fmp12, FindFolder.fmp12, FolderManipulation.fmp12, GetPathTo.fmp12, LaunchAndReveal.fmp12, ListFolder.fmp12, MakeASCIIs.fmp12, MoveFolder.fmp12, RecursiveFolder.fmp12 and Thumbnail.fmp12
Version 8.0.3 (for FileMaker 12, 13 and 14) (July 20th, 2015)
- (Mac OS X) TrFile_DragAndDrop is now also implemented for the 64-bit version of FileMaker Pro 14.
- Updated the DragAndDrop example file.
- Made a small improvement to the DataIn example file.
Version 8.0.2 (for FileMaker 12, 13 and 14) (June 23rd, 2015)
- (Windows) Fixed a bug in the TrFile_Reveal function: the plug-in now properly reveals files with a comma in the filename.
- (Windows) TrFile_DragAndDrop now works on 64-bit (Windows only).
- (Windows) Fixed a problem with the TrFile_DragAndDrop function, where ZIP files would be treated as a folder.
- Fixed typo in user guide.
- Updated some example files.
Version 8.0.1 (for FileMaker 12, 13 and 14) (May 26th, 2015)
- (Mac OS X) Improved the function TrFile_Search: on OS X 10.10 and with FileMaker Pro 14 the default search is now the Exhaustive search. This is the same as when using the switch “-exhaustive” on FileMaker Pro 13. You can no longer use the original (Carbon based) search on OS X 10.10 and FileMaker Pro 14, as this proved unreliable.
- (Windows) Fixed a bug with the TrFile_GetDateCreated and TrFile_GetDateModified functions: when a file is a ZIP file it no longer returns a $$-43 error (file not found). This bug is also fixed for the variant functions, like for example TrFile_GetTimestampModified.
- (Windows) Fixed a bug with the TrFile_GetDateCreated and TrFile_GetDateModified functions where in some cases getting the date of a folder would not always return the correct result.
- Improved the function TrFile_Metadata when using the switch “-GetIPTC”: fixed a possible crash when reading corrupt IPTC data (with malformed UTF8 text).
Version 8.0 (for FileMaker 12, 13 and 14) (May 12th, 2015)
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 12, 13 and 14.
- Added support for 64-bit architecture with FileMaker Pro 14: On OS X the 32-bit and 64-bit version is a single universal plug-in and on Windows there are 2 plug-ins: Troi_File_Plugin.fmx (for 32-bit) and Troi_File_Plugin.fmx64 (for 64-bit).
- Improved the example file EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12, to support the 64-bit version of FileMaker Pro 14.
- Added new function TrFile_CreateZIP, which can create ZIP files (a compressed archive). You can zip a single file or a complete folder.
- Added new CreateZIP example file which demonstrates the TrFile_CreateZIP functionality.
- Functions which require user interface now support the 64-bit version of FileMaker Pro 14: The functions TrFile_SelectFileDialog, TrFile_SelectFolderDialog and TrFile_SaveFileDialog now can show their dialogs.
- Added switch “-AllowMultipleFiles” to the TrFile_SelectFileDialog function, which allows the user to select multiple files in the dialog. Use the Command key on OS X or the Control + Alt key on Windows to select or deselect extra items. To select a contiguous group of files at once, click on the first file, then hold Shift and click the last one and all files are selected. Each selected file is returned on a new line.
- (Mac OS X) Added a new implementation for the function TrFile_Search: you can now search for files and folders using Spotlight. Add the switch “-useSpotlight” for this.
NOTE Spotlight does not return all files, for example it omits hidden (invisible) files. Also Spotlight search will not work if a disk is not indexed yet. It is however quite fast.
- (Mac OS X) You can now filter on extensions (like .txt) when using the TrFile_SelectFileDialog. For this the function TrFile_SetDefaultType now accepts multiple lines, to specify the extensions to enable. The formatting of this is now the same format as on Windows.
- Added a switch “-SHA1” to the TrFile_GetFileHash function, which can return the SHA-1 hash value (checksum) of a file.
- Several bug fixes and further improvements.
- Made various minor changes to several example files.
Version 7.6 (for FileMaker 11, 12 and 13) (January 20th, 2015)
- (Mac OS X) Added a new implementation for the function TrFile_Search: you can now search for files and folders using an exhaustive enumeration. This implementation is no longer dependent on carbon. To enable this add the switch “-exhaustive”.
- (Mac OS X) Improved code to load the correct Cocoa code bundle when updating a plug-in with the “Install Plug-in File” script step.
- Improved the TrFile_MetaData function when using the switch “-GetIPTC”: The function now returns “$$-2026” instead of “$$-50” for images which have a IPTC data block, but the length is zero.
- Updated example files DataIn.fmp12, SelectFile.fmp12, SelectFolder.fmp12 and ListFolder.fmp12 to show an error when an architecture (like 64-bit) is not supported.
Version 7.5.2 (for FileMaker 11, 12 and 13) (November 25th, 2014)
- (Windows) Fixed a problem with the TrFile_MoveFolder and TrFile_CopyFolder functions: the plug-in no longer returns an error when the name of the destination folder is a substring of the source folder name.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a problem with the TrFile_DragAndDrop function, where scripts in FileMaker files with a period in the file name would not be triggered.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a bug in TrFile_CreateFolder function: creation of nested new folders now also works with FileMaker style paths.
- Improved the CreateFolder example file: it no longer tries to store a path into a calculation field.
- Improved the TrFile_ExecuteShell function: it is now possible to have a timeout up to 24 hours. Also improved the speed for commands with large results.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a bug in TrFile_ExecuteShell function, where some UTF-8 results could potentially crash FileMaker.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a problem with the TrFile_CreateThumbnail() function: images with a high resolution (for example 8200 dpi) no longer result in too small thumbnails.
- (Mac OS X) Improved the flash dialog: it is now implemented as a Cocoa dialog and 64-bit compatible.
- Added new switch -GetRegistrationState to the TrFile_Version function: this switch allows you to check if the plug-in is currently registered.
- Updated Version example file to show the use of -GetRegistrationState.
- Improved the FileManipulation.fmp12 example file, so it no longer uses the obsolete function TrFile_FileSpecToFullPath().
- Improved the code and the registration text shown in the log when running FileMaker Server.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a bug with registration on FileMaker Server 13: the plug-in now looks in the correct folder for the Troi Payment Certificate.
- Improved the example file EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12 (in the FileMaker Pro 12 formatted download only), so it is possible to reinstall the same plug-in version.
Version 7.5.1 (for FileMaker 11, 12 and 13) (May 28th, 2014)
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a bug that could crash FileMaker Pro with certain registration strings when using the “Troi Payment Certificate.txt”.
Version 7.5 (for FileMaker 11, 12 and 13) (May 27th, 2014)
- Final non-beta version of the plug-in.
- (Windows) Fixed a ‘file in use’ bug in the TrFile_CreateThumbnail() function: the plug-in now properly releases the image file.
- Improved the example file EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12 (in the FileMaker Pro 12 formatted download only), it is now possible to add more information from FileMaker Server to the log field.
Version 184.108.40.206 beta (for FileMaker 11, 12 and 13) (April 25th, 2014)
Compatible with FileMaker Pro 13 and 64-bit
- First Public Beta Version.
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 13, including 13.0v3.
- Added support for 64-bit architecture: On Windows there are now 2 plug-ins: Troi_File_Plugin.fmx (for 32-bit) and Troi_File_Plugin.fmx64 (for 64-bit).
NOTE Only Filemaker Server and FileMaker WebDirect are 64-bit processes and require the Troi_File_Plugin.fmx64 version to be installed. On OS X the 32-bit and 64-bit version is a single universal plug-in.
- Rewrote most parts of the plug-in.
- IMPORTANT This plug-in drops support for Windows XP (the plug-in will no longer load on XP). On Mac OS X the minimum system is now OS X 10.6.8 (the plug-in will not load on 10.5 and earlier).
- (Mac OS X) Added new implementation for TrFile_Metadata(“-GetMovieDescription”, … ) and TrFile_Metadata(“-GetImageDescription”, … ) when running in 64-bit mode. NOTE These 2 functions are not implemented on Windows and on Mac OS X versions prior to OS X 10.7. In this case the plug-in returns with error code $$-4243 (kErrNotImplemented).
- In the TrFile_Metadata( ) function you can now add the switch “-PreferQuickTime” in combination with the switches “-GetMovieDescription” and “-GetImageDescription”. If possible the plug-in will use the old code which depends on QuickTime. QuickTime is not available on 64-bit, in this case the
switch “-PreferQuickTime” will be ignored and the new code will be used.
- Improved the TrFile_MetaData function: When using it with the switch “-GetMovieDescription” this function now also returns the data rate (in bits/s) of movies.
- Improved the TrFile_MetaData function: When using it with the switch “-GetMovieDescription” the value of frames per second (fps) is now based on the video track and is more accurate.
- (Mac OS X) Improved the TrFile_MetaData function: When using it with the switch “-GetMovieDescription” this function now also returns the audio codec (like AAC) of movies.
- Improved the TrFile_MetaData function (but only with the switch “-PreferQuickTime”): when using it with the switch “-GetMovieDescription” more types of codecs are returned (as media handler). These types include: ‘flsh’ (Flash Media Handler) and ‘sprt’ (Sprite Animation Media Handler). Other types can also be returned. NOTE this is dependent on QuickTime, and may be removed in a future version!
Other improvements and fixes
- Added new implementation for TrFile_CreateThumbnail(), for both OS X and Windows. This implementation is no longer dependent on QuickTime.
- (Mac OS X) Made an improvement to the TrFile_DeleteFolder function: it now handles removal of the hidden file “.DS_Store”.
- Improved the functions TrFile_ListFolder and TrFile_GetTypeOfItem, the error codes are now more cross-platform.
- Improved the example file EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12 (in the FileMaker Pro 12 formatted download only), to be able to install plug-ins for 64-bit and running under WebDirect.
- Fixed a small problem with de Mail Drop example in the DragAndDrop file that would not include the last character of the email body into the field.
- (Mac OS X) Improved the DragAndDrop example file by adding support for decoding quoted-printable formatted emails, and improving handling for the Mail folder structure of Mac OS X 10.7 and 10.8.
- Improved the example file ManageMedia.fmp12 with test scripts for creating thumbnails.
- Improved the CreateFolder example file: it now no longer uses the obsolete function TrFile_FileSpecToFullPath().
- Improved the Disable example file: it now gives more information on what is happening. Also the function used to test the disable is now working better.
- Improved the ManageMedia example file: it now properly handles movie files with these extensions: .f4v, .flv and .m4v.
- Clarified proper keyword formatting in the IPTC_XMP_Metadata example file.
- Made small improvements in several other example files.
- (Mac OS X) The plug-in no longer supports the deprecated FileSpec format (e.g. formatted like “:volumeID:directoryID:fileName”). Only full paths and FileMaker style paths are now supported for specifying a file or folder. The functions TrFile_FullPathToFileSpec and TrFile_FileSpecToFullPath are obsolete and now return error code $$-4266 (kErrNoLongerSupported).
- Made most functions of the plug-in available for auto-enter calculations (they now appear also in the list of available external functions). Please note that using the plug-in’s functions in auto-enter calculations may cause performance penalties and other side effects. In some cases it might be useful to be able to add a function of the plug-in in an auto-enter calculation.
- Moved to the registration system for version 7.5. You need a new license, otherwise the plug-in will run in demo mode, showing a flash dialog.
- Created a new test file FileManipulationTest.fmp12, which can be used to test the file manipulation functionality of the plug-in when running on FileMaker Server 13. This is a separate download.
Version 7.0 (for FileMaker 10, 11 and 12) (July 24th, 2013)
- Tested and improved compatibility with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 (preview version).
- Added new function TrFile_InsertContents, which can insert text into a file, at a specified position. Also added a new Insert example file demonstrating this functionality.
- Added a grid view to the Thumbnail example file, which demonstrates (in a simplified way) how to implement square thumbnails in a grid.
- (Mac OS X) Improved the drag and drop functionality by adding Mail Drop. You can now drag one or more emails from the Mail.app to the FileMaker window. Add the switch “-AllowMailDrops” to the switches parameter of TrFile_DragAndDrop function to enable this extra functionality.
- Updated the DragAndDrop example file to reflect the Mail Drop functionality with an extensive example demonstrating the handling of single and multiple Mail Drops.
- Added an optional thumbnailName parameter to the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function. This name is added to the created (thumbnail) image data and is also added when the thumbnail is stored in a container field. The name is normally not visible, but will be used for example when you perform an Export Field Contents action later.
- Added new switch to TrFile_SetMetaData function: “-SetImageURL”, this can set the Photoshop Image URL metadata. Note that the Image URL is not part of the official IPTC specification.
- Added new functionality to the TrFile_SetMetaData function when using the switch “-SetIPTC”. You can now also write the IPTC encoded as UTF-8 text, by using the new -UTF8CharSet switch. In the written image file the CodedCharacterSet tag (which indicates the encoding) will be set to UTF-8.
Other fixes and improvements
- Rewrote the source code to make the plug-in more efficient and prevent possible errors.
- Fixed a bug in the TrFile_ListFolder function which could lead to a crash when one of the files inside the folder listed had a name longer than 128 characters.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a bug in the TrFile_MountDisk function on Mountain Lion which could lead to a crash, when an url-style server name would be used with certain disk names, for example a disk with a space in the name.
- Updated the IPTC_XMP_Metadata example file to check for the correct version.
- (Mac OS X) TrFile_MountDisk: paths to SMB servers are now handled by improved and modern code.
Version 6.2 (for FileMaker 10, 11 and 12) (May 31st, 2013)
- (Windows) Fixed a bug in the TrFile_ListFolder function and the “-Recursive” switch: folders with a period as 2nd character in the name are now also listed recursively.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a problem with the TrFile_ExecuteShell function: short commands of only 2 characters like “ls” could return an empty string.
- (Windows) Fixed a problem with the “-GetGPS” switch of the “TrFile_MetaData” function: The minutes and seconds part of the GPS coordinates
are now correctly returned in all cases. Also trailing zeros are no longer present in the raw GPS data.
- Improved the GetExif example file: the latitude and longitude is better displayed, the minutes are now shown for all GPS formats.
- Fixed a small problem in the layout text of the ListFolder example file.
- Fixed a bug in TrFile_Substitute function where under certain conditions performing a substitute with a big file could give a wrong result.
- (Windows) Fixed a problem in TrFile_MetaData function with the switches “-GetImageDescription”, “-GetMovieDescription” and “-GetPDFDescription”. It no longer returns the error code $$-43 (file not found) for existing files.
- (Windows) Fixed a problem where calling the TrFile_MetaData function with the switch “-GetXMP” and PNG image files could potentially hang the FileMaker Pro application.
- Fixed a problem where the plug-in would not correctly load when running as a server-side plug-in or as a web-side plug-in under FileMaker Server 12.
Version 6.1.1 for FileMaker 10, 11 and 12 (August 1st, 2012)
- Fixed a script problem in “All File Examples.fp7” and “All File Examples.fmp12”. The script “Check if the correct FILE plug-in is installed” checked against the version of the Troi Activator Plug-in, causing it to ask to update the File Plug-in even if the Troi File Plug-in was current.
- Tested with Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8) and fixed a small compatibility issue.
- Fixed a typo in the Version.fp7 example file.
Version 6.1 for FileMaker 10, 11 and 12 (June 26th, 2012)
Improved for FileMaker Pro 12
- Made compatible and tested with FileMaker Pro 12.
- The example files are now available in the new .fmp12 format.
- Added new example file EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12 (in the FileMaker Pro 12 formatted download only), which contains the plug-ins (a Mac and Windows version) and can install the plug-in from within FileMaker Pro 12.
- Added new switch “-GetPluginInstallPath” to the TrFile_Version function: this switch will return the path where a plug-in is installed, for example “/Mac HD/Users/User Name/Library/Application Support/FileMaker/Extensions/Troi_File.fmplugin”.
- Removed the obsolete MultiExport.fp7 and MultiPDF.fp7 example files as this can now be done natively with FileMaker Pro.
Improved Drag and Drop
- (Windows) Fixed a problem with the drag and drop functionality not starting with FileMaker Pro 12. Note: starting drag and drop (on Windows only) will remove the default drag and drop of the FileMaker Pro application until you restart the FileMaker Pro application.
- Updated the DragAndDrop.fp7 (and DragAndDrop.fmp12) example file. Improved the vertical correction for the Status Toolbar when starting drag an drop with field bounds in the scripts. The script to start Drag and Drop was also rewritten for clarity.
- (Mac OS X) Changed the DragAndDrop.fmp12 example file: the container field no longer allows field entry in browse mode to resolve a conflict with the Drag and Drop of the FileMaker Pro 12 application.
Other improvements and fixes
- Improved the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function: added a “-TryNativeJPEGDecoding” switch, which will decode the JPEG natively, instead of using QuickTime. Note that for the subsequent scaling QuickTime still is used. This switch makes TrFile_CreateThumbnail work better for some JPEG images, specifically if those JPEGS have a color profile “sRGB IEC61966-2-1 black scaled”. See the script “Simple Create Thumbnail 256×256 -TryNativeJPEGDecoding” in the Thumbnail.fp7 file.
NOTE the created thumbnails may look slightly different from the ones generated by QuickTime, also color profiles and antialiasing are handled differently.
- Improved the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function: the plug-in now returns fnfErr ($$-48) when the image file could not be found, instead of the noThumbnailFoundErr ($$-8994) which implied that the file exists.
- Made small improvement to the Thumbnail.fp7 example file.
- Updated the IPTC_XMP_Metadata.fp7 (and IPTC_XMP_Metadata.fmp12) example file. Fixed a mistake in the “Simple write IPTC data” script, in the formatting of the IPTC tags. Also made several small improvements to the IPTC_XMP_Metadata.fp7 example file.
- (Windows) fixed a bug with the TrFile_MetaData function: now images with higher Unicode characters in the file name no longer give $$123 as error code.
- Updated the HTML export example file. Also renamed it to HTMLExport.fp7 (and HTMLExport.fmp12).
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a problem with TrFile_SelectFileDialog, and TrFile_SelectFolderDialog and TrFile_SaveFileDialog: the initialFolder parameter now also works if the folder name contains higher Unicode characters.
- Fixed a programming error which could possibly cause a memory problem with the TrFile_CreateFile or TrFile_Substitute functions.
Version 6.0 for FileMaker 9 through 11 (March 6th, 2012)
- Improved the TrFile_CreateFolder function: you can now specify a path and the plug-in will create the folder, including all folders in the path that do not exist.
- Improved the TrFile_Search function: you can now also specify a folder in which the search must be done, instead of searching the whole disk.
- Added new function TrFile_GetFileHash, which can return the MD5 hash value (checksum) of a file. You can use this hash to check if a file has not changed (by comparing it to a stored MD5 hash). Also added an example of this function to Attribute.fp7
- Improved the TrFile_SetFileAttribute function: you can now also set the (color) Finder Label for folders (Mac OS X only).
- New: you can now read the metadata of PDF files. Use this function call: TrFile_MetaData( “-GetPDFDescription” ; filePath ).
This can extract the following metadata information from PDF files: title, subject, keywords, number of pages, author and more.
- Improved the ManageMedia.fp7 example file. It can now also add the metadata of PDFs to the description.
- New functionality in the TrFile_MetaData function, and the switch “-GetXMP”: the plug-in now can read the (XMP) metadata in PNG image files.
- Improved the IPTC_XMP_Metadata.fp7 example file, including an example that shows how to parse XMP metadata into easy readable text.
- New functionality in the TrFile_MetaData function when using the switch “-GetIPTC”: the plug-in now automatically detects if the text is UTF-8 encoded (and also returns with the metadata text correctly formatted).
- Added a switch “-DontUseAutoUTF8Detection” to the TrFile_MetaData function, to be used with the switch “-GetIPTC”.
It allows you to bypass the automatic detection of UTF-8 encoded text in the IPTC metadata. This can potentially be used for images that have improperly formatted IPTC metadata.
- Improved the GetExif.fp7 example file: now the orientation tag is also parsed out, so you can see if the image is in portrait or landscape format.
Other fixes and improvements
- Fixed a few small issues and made several smaller improvements.
- Updated several example files and documentation for the new functionality.
Version 5.5.2 for FileMaker 9 through 11 (January 3rd, 2012)
- Made small change to the bundle (on Mac OS X) and FileVersion resource (on Windows) so it now reflects the correct version number.
Version 5.5.1 for FileMaker 9 through 11 (July 22nd, 2011)
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a bug with TrFile_ListDisks function when running on OS X Lion (10.7): the plug-in no longer returns two incorrect disknames (home and net).
- Fixed a bug with TrFile_ListFolder function and the “-Recursive” switch: the plug-in now correctly handles folders containing an extreme large number of items (directly at that folder level), for example 100.000 individual files in that folder.
- Improved the speed of the TrFile_ListFolder function (up to 5 times faster).
- Improved the TrFile_ListFolder function and the “-Recursive” switch: the plug-in now by default encodes filenames which contain a forward slash “/”: slashes are substituted with “%2F”. This is the same as how native FileMaker style paths are handled and also makes it possible to differentiate from the folder separator. Also added a switch “-DontEncodeSlash” which disables this encoding of slashes.
- Corrected an inaccuracy in a function name in the example file DataIn.fp7.
- Fixed a bug in the handling of registration strings.
Version 5.5 for FileMaker 9 through 11 (July 14th, 2011)
- Tested and made compatible with Mac OS X Lion 10.7 (GM): in our preliminary testing we have found no major issues with Mac OS X Lion.
Note: This is only an initial finding. We will continue our testing when newer releases of Lion come out.
New functionality for listing folders and searching for files
- Improved the TrFile_ListFolder function: you can now recursively get the list of files and folders and all the subfolders of the folder you are listing. To enable this add the switch “-Recursive”. Note that files and folders in sub-folders are listed with their relative folder path, with a slash as separator, for example “Subfolder/Filename.txt”.
- (Mac OS X) Improved the TrFile_ListFolder function: also added the switch “-ShowPackageContents”. When used in combination with the “-Recursive” switch this also lists the contents of a package folder (like for example a Mac OS X app).
- (Mac OS X) Improved the TrFile_ListFolder function: changed the default to returning long file names (up to 255 characters). You no longer need to add the switch “-LongNames” to do this. If you want the truncated names (up to 31 chars), please add the switch “-ShortNames”.
- (Windows) Improved TrFile_ListFolder function, it now better returns files with higher Unicode characters in the name.
- (Mac OS X) Improved the TrFile_Search function: changed the default to returning long file names (up to 255 characters). You no longer need to add the switch “-LongNames” to do this. If you want the truncated names, please add the switch “-ShortNames”.
- (Windows) Improved TrFile_Search function, it now better returns files with higher Unicode characters in the name.
New functionality for images
- Improved the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function, added a “-Square” switch, which will result in square thumbnails. In this case the thumbnails will have the extending parts of the wider side of the image cropped (thus showing the middle square of the image). Also note that the image will be scaled proportionally up to a square, if one of the sides of the image is smaller than the requested size. This makes sure the result is always a square with the exact dimensions requested.
- Improved the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function, added support for creating thumbnails from CRW files (a RAW file type from Canon).
- Improved the TrFile_MetaData function, and the switch “-GetEXIF”: Added support for getting EXIF data from RAW files. This will work for all RAW formats which are internally based on the TIFF format. Many (but not all) RAW file formats are based on the TIFF file format. Examples include 3FR (Hasselblad), DCR, K25, KDC (Kodak), CR2 (Canon), ERF (Epson), MEF (Mamiya), MOS (Leaf), NEF (Nikon), ORF (Olympus), PEF (Pentax), RW2 (Panasonic) and ARW, SRF, SR2 (Sony).
- Improved the TrFile_MetaData function, and the switch “-GetEXIF”: also added limited support for returning EXIF data in CRW files (a RAW file type from Canon). Note that normally CRW files dont have an EXIF data block, but the plug-in will try to create one from the available data.
Other fixes and improvements
- Updated the example files and documentation for the new functionality.
- Fixed a few small issues and made several smaller improvements.
Version 5.0.3 for FileMaker 9 through 11 (June 27th, 2011)
- Improved the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function: in case of a corrupt JPEG the plug-in now returns error code codecDataVersErr ($$-8970) instead of the more general noThumbnailFoundErr ($$-8994).
- Improved the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function: when the plug-in returns a thumbnail the size is now determined more accurately, and is no longer dependent on internal PICT data.
- Fixed a bug in handling of registration strings.
- Fixed several smaller issues and bugs and made several smaller improvements.
Version 5.0.2 for FileMaker 9 through 11 (February 11th, 2011)
- Improved the TrFile_SetContents and TrFile_AppendContents functions: when writing text which contains one or more Unicode NULL characters (U+0000) the complete text will now be written to the file. Note that normally Unicode character NULL in a FileMaker text field indicates corrupt text data.
- Improved the TrFile_Substitute function: improved handling when either the search string or replace string contains one or more Unicode NULL characters (U+0000).
- Further improved support for unusual encodings in the TrFile_SetContents, TrFile_AppendContents and TrFile_Substitute functions: When used with unusual encodings and when writing text which contains one or more Unicode NULL characters (U+0000) the complete text will now be written to the file.
- Added new example for creating UTF-8 Encoded files to CreateFile.fp7. It also demonstrates how to add a Byte Order Mark (BOM) to the UTF-8 file.
- Added new example script for creating a ISO 8859-1 Encoded file to CreateFile.fp7. This script can easily be modified for different encodings.
- Improved the DataIn.fp7 example file to better demonstrate the use of the TrFile_Exists() function.
- (Windows) Improved the TrFile_FindFolder function, for the “desktop” and “mydocuments” switch: it will now also work when the username in the path contains higher Unicode characters.
- Fixed a problem in registering with the built-in function.
- Corrected the path of logs files in the document filemaker-server-side-plug-ins.htm.
- Tested and compatible with FileMaker Pro 11v3.
Version 5.0.1 for FileMaker 9 through 11 (September 29th, 2010)
- Improved the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function, so that it now returns a native binary type. This makes it possible to use the Set Variable script step.
- Fixed a rotation bug in the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function: RAW files with orientation tags other than horizontal now get a properly rotated thumbnail.
- Improved the Thumbnail.fp7 example file to better demonstrate the use of the “-AntiAliasThumbnail” switch.
- (Windows) Fixed a bug with TrFile_ExecuteShell always returning a timeout error $$-4230 even if the executed process terminated on time.
- (Windows) Improved handling of the switch “-Encoding=ISO_8859_15” in several functions.
- Rewritten code in several places.
- Improved the example file ManageMedia.fp7: added scripts to get, set and update container field with FMP styled paths.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a problem with FileMaker Pro 11.0v2 making drag and drop not working properly.
Version 5.0 for FileMaker 9 through 11 (June 21st, 2010)
- Made compatible and tested with FileMaker Pro 11.
- Added compatibility with Windows 7.
- Troi File Plug-in is now compatible with FileMaker styled paths, like for example “filemac:/MacHD/folder/file.txt”. Each function with a FileSpec parameter can now also be given a FileMaker styled path. You can still use all the FileSpec formats of previous versions of the Troi File Plug-in, like for example “MacHD:folder:file.txt” on Mac OS X and “C:\folder\letter.txt” on Windows.
- Updated CreateFile.fp7 example to show the use of FileMaker style paths, like “filewin:/C:/dir/test.txt”.
- Improved Drag and Drop functionality: you can now specify up to two drag destination rectangles (even on the same window), each drag can trigger a different script. See the example in DragAndDrop.fp7
- Added new function: TrFile_GetTypeOfItem, which provides an easy way to see if a paths points to a folder or file.
- Updated the example file DragAndDrop.fp7 to make use of the new function: TrFile_GetTypeOfItem.
- Added support for RAW files in TrFile_CreateThumbnail: it can now create a thumbnail from the (large) thumbnail embedded in the RAW file. This should work for several RAW formats, but currently only has been tested with Canons CR2 format.
- Added switch “-GetFullSizeRawThumbnail” to the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function: This switch will return the full size thumbnail embedded in the RAW file. This should work for several RAW formats, but currently only has been tested with Canons CR2 format.
- You can now get the creation date and modification date of a folder using the TrFile_GetDateCreated and TrFile_GetDateModified functions. This also works with the variant functions, like for example TrFile_GetTimestampModified.
- You can now set the creation date and modification date of a folder using the TrFile_SetTimestampCreated and TrFile_SetTimestampModified functions.
- (Windows) Fixed a problem with TrFile_ExecuteShell always returning a timeout error $$-4230 even if the executed process terminated on time.
- (Windows) Improved TrFile_ExecuteShell, including improved error handling.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a problem when creating a temporary file on a remote disk, which could result in a $$-5000 (afpAccessDenied) error. This error could occur in several functions: TrFile_CreateThumbnail, TrFile_SetMetaData and TrFile_Substitute.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a bug in TrFile_MoveFile function that could lead to a crash of FileMaker and removed calls to an older ResolveAlias function. This change will also fix potential problems in other functions that have a full path as parameter.
Other changes and enhancements
- (Mac OS X only) Added support for ColorSync in TrFile_CreateThumbnail: this function can now create a thumbnail in the sRGB color space. The thumbnail will have the “sRGB IEC61966-2.1” profile embedded.
NOTE this feature is not enabled by default, it needs to be enabled by adding a “-AddColorSyncSupport” to the switches parameter of TrFile_CreateThumbnail().
- Improved the TrFile_MetaData function: When retrieving GPS metadata the Altitude reference now returns 0, indicating Sea Level.
- Added new switch to TrFile_Version: -UnregisterPlugin. This will remove the registration data. The plug-in will be in a unregistered state after this. See the “Temporary Register Dialog Plug-in” script in the file RegiFunc.fp7 for an example use.
Improved example files and documentation
- Updated CreateFile.fp7 and MoveFolder.fp7 example to use variables and to make use of the TrFile_Exists function.
- Fixed a script in the FolderManipulation.fp7 example file.
- Improved the GetExif.fp7 and SetExif.fp7 example files: they now also parse the GPS data types: Image direction and Image direction reference (True or Magnetic direction) and Degree of precision.
- Updated the User Guide, and also fixed an incorrect example in the User Guide and Overview.fp7
Version 4.6.2 (for FileMaker 7 through 10) (July 6th, 2009)
- Fixed a small error in the display of the GPS data in GetExif.fp7 example file: the symbols for minutes (‘) and seconds (“) were switched in the latitude and longitude text.
- Improved the GetExif.fp7 example file: it now uses variables for parsing the data.
Version 4.6.1 (for FileMaker 7 through 10) (June 23rd, 2009)
- Improved the TrFile_MetaData function for the switch “-GetMovieDescription”: added Current Time (in seconds) to movie description. This is also available when there is no Timecode track.
- Improved the TrFile_MetaData function: the returned pixel depth (with switch “-GetImageDescription”) is now more accurate for certain images.
- Added missing documentation for switch “-GetImageDescription” of function TrFile_Metadata to User Guide and Overview.fp7 .
- (Mac OS X) Added new switch “-PackageFolderAttr” to the function TrFile_GetFileAttribute: this can be used to determine if a file is a package folder. For example all Mac OS X applications are really package folders. This can be used to determine if a result of a drag and drop action is a package or a real folder.
- Adapted example file DragAndDrop.fp7, to make use of the new “-PackageFolderAttr” switch of the function TrFile_GetFileAttribute.
- (Windows) Improved Drag and Drop functionality: when starting drag and drop it will now only use the name of the current front window (and no longer tests if this is the same as the fileName parameter). This means that drag and drop with a renamed window now also works. Note, however, if there are two windows with the same name the plug-in might pick the wrong one. You can prevent this from happening by using different names for each window.
- Improved the example files DragAndDrop.fp7 and ManageMedia.fp7 to better handle audio files, like .mp3, .m4a and .mid files.
- (Mac OS X) Improved handling of volumes with higher Unicode characters in TrFile_SelectFileDialog and TrFile_SaveFileDialog.
- Fixed a problem with the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function and the switch “-AntiAliasThumbnail”: 16-bit images will now be properly antialiased resulting in better thumbnails.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a bug in the example file RecursiveFolder.fp7. It would stop too soon.
- Corrected incorrect example in User Guide for TrFile_MountDisk.
- (Mac OS X) Disabled a default workaround for a bug in the Alias manager. This workaround would lead to a $$-1407 error (errFSNotAFolder) for some functions when users are also using network based home directories. If you still need this workaround add this step:
Set Variable[ $errorCode, TrFile_Version( "-AliasBugWorkAroundON" )]
See also the scripts in the CreateFile.fp7 example file.
- Added code for easier debugging.
Version 4.6 (for FileMaker 7 through 10) (January 29th, 2009)
- Made compatible with FileMaker Pro 10.
- Added new TrFile_VersionAutoUpdate function. The TrFile_VersionAutoUpdate function is part of an emerging standard for FileMaker plug-ins of third party vendors of plug-ins. The version number is returned in the format aabbccdd where every letter represents a digit of the level, so versions can be easily compared.
- Added the plug-in’s version number to the description in FileMaker’s preference pane.
- Troi File plug-in is now compatible to run under FileMaker Server! The plug-in now creates log files when running under FileMaker Server to make troubleshooting installing easier and and provides feedback regarding errors and registration status.
Note that some functions which can’t run under FileMaker Server or under the Web Engine: they will now return an error code: $$-4251 = kErrNotAvailableOnServer. This entails the functions which use GUI, like for example show a dialog. Also Note that you need a special Server/WebEngine license to use this plug-in on FileMaker Server. See our web site for details.
- Fixed a bug in the TrFile_MountDisk function: when using “afp://” style addresses it will no longer show a superfluous user and password dialog.
- Fixed a bug in the TrFile_MetaData function and the switch “-GetEXIF”: if the Exif data block was too big it would not be retrieved.
- Fixed a bug in the TrFile_DiskInfo function when using switches “-GetFreeMegs” or “-GetTotalMegs”.
- Fixed a bug in the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function using the switch “-AntiAliasThumbnail”: no longer will some thumbnail sizes result in a white band at the right.
- Improved the handling of Unicode paths in the TrFile_GetFileAttribute and TrFile_SetFileAttribute functions.
- Fixed a bug in the handling of re-registration: No longer is an incorrect Expired dialog shown.
- Fixed a bug in TrFile_Substitute (and TrFile_ConvertFromFMText): when using text which contains lots of Unicode characters that require more than two UTF-8 characters, this is now handled better.
- Fixed a bug in TrFile_SetContents and TrFile_AppendContents: when writing text which contains lots of Unicode characters that require more than two UTF-8 characters, the text is now written out completely.
- (Windows) Fixed a bug with Drag and Drop functionality using a FileMaker file that is hosted on a FileMaker server: drag and drop now works more reliable.
- Improved Drag and Drop functionality: triggering is now only occurring during IdleSafe, eliminating possible crashes.
- Tested with FileMaker Pro 10 and tweaked several little (graphic) issues.
- Changed the Open File script in all example files to resize better for FileMaker Pro 10.
- Adapted example file DragAndDrop.fp7, to take into account that the status area in FileMaker Pro 10 is no longer at the left. This caused the custom drag and drop rectangle to be drawn at the wrong location.
Improved example files and documentation
- Improved the example files DragAndDrop.fp7 and ManageMedia.fp7 to better handle network paths.
- Improved Drag and Drop example for PDFs on Windows, PDFs are now inserted as media type file.
- Removed unnecessary file references in ManageMedia.fp7 and Import1Image.fp7
- Improved the MoveFolder.fp7 example.
- Added the switch “-GetXMP” to the documentation of the TrFile_Metadata function.
Version 4.5.1 (for FileMaker 7, 8.x and 9) (July 7th, 2008)
- (Windows) Fixed a problem in the “TrFile_ContentsDialog” function and the filtering on file types (for example .txt).
- (Mac OS X) Improved robustness when the startup disk is renamed while the plug-in is running.
- Fixed a bug in “TrFile_DragAndDrop” function, when using the custom field bounds (drop box). This now also works when the toolbars of FileMaker are visible.
- Improved the user guide and the Overview.fp7 file: fixed some reference to old function names.
- Added missing DataIn.fp7 example file in the download.
Version 4.5 (for FileMaker 7, 8.x and 9) (June 11th, 2008)
- Added new “TrFile_Reveal” function. With this you can reveal files and folders in the Finder or Windows Explorer.
- Added powerful new “TrFile_DragAndDrop” function. With this you can drag files and folders on the FileMaker window. The paths of the dropped items can then be handled in a triggered script, for example to put them in a container field.
More Metadata support
- Added “-GetGPS” switch to the “TrFile_MetaData” function. This will return the Global Positioning System data embedded in the Exif data in images. With this you can find the coordinates (latitude and longitude) where the image was taken.
- Added support for reading XMP metadata (as used for example by Photoshop) in the “TrFile_MetaData” function.
- Improved the TrFile_MetaData function for the switch “-GetMovieDescription”. It will now return more movie information. New items are: track count, frame count, frames per second, preferred playback rate, codec name, codec type. Also when the movie contains a Timecode track, the Timecode at the begining and end of the movie and the Timecode of the current frame is returned.
- Added extra switches to the TrFile_MetaData function which return individual movie attributes: “-GetMovieDuration”, which returns the duration in seconds of a movie. When a movie contains a Timecode track the switches “-GetTimecodeBegin”, “-GetTimecodeEnd”, “-GetTimecodeCurrent” return the begin, end and current Timecode respectively. If there is no Timecode track an empty string is returned.
More and better Exif Metadata support
- Added support for writing Exif data. This is still somewhat limited as the Exif Maker Note and the Exif Thumbnail will not be added when setting the Exif data.
- Added “-GetRawExif” switch to the “TrFile_MetaData” function: This returns the data in the more original form, for example aperture will be returned as 95/32, instead of 2.96875.
- Improved the “TrFile_MetaData” function for getting Exif: implemented better handling of corrupt Exif data and incomplete date/times in Exif data.
More Execute Shell possibilities
- Added “-DontWaitOnResult” switch to the TrFile_ExecuteShell function. With this switch the plug-in will not wait on the termination of the process, but return immediately.
- Added a default timeout of 20 seconds to the TrFile_ExecuteShell function. If the process started does not terminate in 20 seconds the plug-in returns with a timeout error $$-4230.
- Added “-TimeoutSecs=x” switch to the TrFile_ExecuteShell function. With this switch you can change the timeout until the function returns if the process started does not terminate.
- (Windows only) Added “-ShowCommandWindow” switch to the TrFile_ExecuteShell function, which will show the command window and then wait 5 seconds. This can be used for debugging.
- (Windows only) Added “-WaitAfterExitTicks=x” switch to the TrFile_ExecuteShell function. With this switch you can change the timeout the function waits after the command window has ended.
- Improved the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function: added a switch “-AntiAliasThumbnail”, which results in better bicubic antialiased thumbnails.
- Improved the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function: added a switch “-BitDepth=32”, which will make the thumbnail a 32 bits image.
- Several bug fixes and further improvements.
Version 4.0.3 (for FileMaker 7, 8.x and 9) (June 3rd, 2008)
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a problem where the plug-in would not load on PPC G3 machines.
- (Windows) Improved the TrFile_FindFolder function: when using the “temporary” switch it now returns the long Windows path.
Version 4.0.2 (for FileMaker 7, 8.x and 9) (March 17th, 2008)
- Removed a limitation of 2000 characters in the command of the TrFile_ExecuteShell function. The limit for the command string is now limited by the FileMaker application, currently up to 1 Gb characters. Realisticly about 300.000 characters can be handled by the operating system.
- (Windows) Improved the TrFile_LaunchFile function: the (optional) extra parameter now works better with higher Unicode characters.
- Improved the switch “-GetExif” in the “TrFile_MetaData” function: it now returns more and better data.
- Several other smaller (internal) refinements and improvements.
Version 4.0.1 (for FileMaker 7, 8.x and 9) (October 9th, 2007)
- Improved the speed of the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function.
- (Windows) Fixed a bug in the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function when used with the -TryMoviePict switch on a QuickTime movie. The created thumbnails are now of the specified size, instead of only 8×8 pixels.
- Fixed a bug in TrFile_MetaData function and the switch “-GetImageDescription”, where error code $$-2020 could be returned, even if QuickTime was installed. Also the codectype is now correct.
- Fixed a bug in TrFile_CreateFolder function where an (internal) error code $$-4299 could be returned, when given an error code as input parameter.
- (Windows) Fixed a bug in the TrFile_DeleteFolder function where in some cases the function would return an error code $$-43 after successfully deleting the folder.
- (Windows) Fixed a bug in the 9 functions that retrieve dates and time from a file, like the TrFile_GetDateCreated and TrFile_GetTimestampModified functions. The functions now also work with open files, and no longer returns $$-43 in this case.
- Improved the ManageMedia.fp7 example: it can now identify and handle more movie types: DV, MPG, MP4, and AVI.
- Added switch “-HideInvisibles” to the TrFile_SelectFileDialog function.
- Improved the TrFile_Substitute function, the function can now handle a longer search parameter, up to 500.000 characters.
- Added the switch “-Encoding=BytesOnly” to the TrFile_Substitute function
This will encode all characters in the text that have Unicode value of 0 to 255. All higher characters are skipped.
- Improved the MultiPDF.fp7 and the ExecuteShell.fp7 example files.
- Fixed a typo in the user guide.
- Improved the TrFile_MetaData function for the switch “-GetMovieDescription” it will now return the duration (in seconds) of a movie.
Version 4.0 (for FileMaker 7, 8 and 8.5) (June 4th, 2007)
- Added compatibility with Windows Vista.
- Added TrFile_CopyFolder function, which can copy (and rename) complete folders (with their subfolders).
- Added TrFile_MoveFolder function, which can move (and rename) complete folders (with their subfolders) to a new location on the disk.
- Added TrFile_ExecuteShell function, which can execute command in the shell of the operating system.
- Added TrFile_AsciiValueToText function, with the same functionality as in the Troi Serial Plug-in. With this function you can make special ASCII characters, like Line Feed or Vertical Tab, which can then be used easily in for example the TrFile_Substitute function.
- Added switch “-GetImageDescription” and “-GetMovieDescription” to the TrFile_MetaData function. This will retrieve image data like width, height and depth.
- Added new example file ManageMedia.fp7. This example file combines some of the Troi File Plug-ins function to create a powerful Media Manager for images and movies. It shows how to import one or multiple images from a folder and retrieves meta data like width and height, IPTC meta data like description and EXIF meta data like shutter time.
- (Windows) Improved the function TrFile_ListFolder: it can now handle folders containing more than 32000 items.
- Added the switch “-Encoding=BytesOnly” to both the TrFile_SetContents and the TrFile_AppendContents function. This will encode all characters in the text that have Unicode value of 0 to 255. All higher characters are skipped.
- Improved the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function. You can now specify a higher quality bit depth of 32.
- Fixed a bug in the function TrFile_MetaData with the switch “-GetImageURL” where the plug-in would not return an included URL.
Version 3.6.1 (for FileMaker 7, 8 and 8.5) (April 12th, 2007)
- Fixed a bug in writing out binary data with the switch “-Encoding=ASCII_Mac”, in both the TrFile_SetContents and TrFile_AppendContents functions.
- Made some improvements to the IPTC_Manipulation.fp7 example.
Version 3.6 (for FileMaker 7, 8 and 8.5) (February 5th, 2007)
- (Windows) fixed a bug where, with both QuickTime and the Troi File Plug-in installed, copying or pasting could lead to a freeze.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a bug with filtering in TrFile_SelectFileDialog.
- Fixed a problem with the TrFile_MetaData crashing with some images containing specific undefined EXIF data tags.
- Improved TrFile_SetMetaData: IPTC meta data can now also be added to JPEG files that did not yet have any previous IPTC or Photoshop data.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a bug where copying a file to a remote volume could erroneously return a disk full error ($$-34).
- Compacted a few example files.
Version 3.5.3 (for FileMaker 7, 8 and 8.5) (November 15th, 2006)
- (Mac OS X) Improved the TrFile_MoveFile function. Moving files with higher unicode values, like Greek now works correctly.
- All functions are now visible in all calculation boxes, including Custom Functions.
- (Windows) Fixed a problem with the TrFile_SetMetaData function not being visible.
- (Windows) Made minor improvements to the IPTC_Manipulation.fp7 example.
- (Mac OS X) Switched of creation of unneeded logging information with copy and move functions.
- Improved the Create Folder.fp7 example file: fixed incorrect line in script.
- Improved the Image import.fp7 example file to work with FileMaker 8 and variables.
- Improved the FileManipulation.fp7 example file.
- Improved the user guide and the Overview.fp7 file: fixed some typos etc. Also renamed the user guide to be more clear to which plug-in it is for.
Version 3.5.2 (for FileMaker 7, 8 and 8.5) (August 3rd, 2006)
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a problem where the plug-in would not work after using the AutoUpdate feature of FileMaker Server.
Version 3.5.1 (for FileMaker 7,8 and 8.5) (July 24th, 2006)
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a bug that prevented the plug-in from loading in FileMaker Pro 7./
- Added a consistency check for missing resources. The plug-in can for example miss resource files after being incorrectly zipped or tarred.
- Updated the User Guide for version 3.5. We also improved the links in the table of contents, so the links now also work with the Preview application of Mac OS X.
Version 3.5 (for FileMaker 7,8 and 8.5) (July 12th, 2006)
- Made compatible with FileMaker Pro 8.5.
- (Mac OS X) Converted to Universal plug-in which runs natively on PowerPC and Intel Macs.
- Improved the TrFile_CopyFile function, it is much faster and can now copy files bigger than 2 Gb.
- Added new switch to the TrFile_GetContents function: “-ConvertToFMPLinebreaks”.
This will still get the data of the selected file but also convert any line breaks to the line break FileMaker expects: CRLF, LF and CR will all become CR.
NOTE only use this when getting text files, as it might change the data returned. If for example you use it with an image file the imported image might get corrupted.
- Added 3 functions to get the last access date of a file: See Attribute.fp7 for details.
- Added set TrFile_SetMetaData function, which can set the IPTC metadata in JPEG files.
- Improved TrFile_SelectFileDialog and TrFile_SaveFileDialog: the initial directory can now be longer than 150 characters.
- Cleaned up code in several places.
Version 3.0.7 (for FileMaker 7 and 8) (April 26th, 2006)
- Added new example file RecursiveFolder.fp7. This example file lists all folders inside a folder and optionally performs an action on all the files in the folders.
- Improved handling of EXIF data in TrFile_MetaData function, especially images with corrupt EXIF data is now handled gracefully.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a bug in TrFile_CopyFile function which could return $$-39 when copying files to SMB disks.
- (Mac OS X) Improved internal creation of full paths for remote disks, for example with SMB mounted Windows disks. This fix makes that the TrFile_SelectFileDialog and TrFile_SaveFileDialog functions now returns better paths.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a possible problem with TrFile_ListDisks function and higher unicodes in the diskname.
- (Mac OS X) Improved the TrFile_GetFileCreator and TrFile_GetFileType function:
when a file has no Creator or FileType associated with it, the functions will now return the visible text: “0000”, that is 4 zero characters (Unicode 30) instead of 4 invisible Unicode 0 characters.
- (Mac OS X) Improved the TrFile_SetFileAttribute function: when setting either Creator or FileType you can now set it no Creator or FileType. Use “0000”, that is 4 zero characters (Unicode 30). You can also use an empty string in the cftype parameter.
- (Mac OS X) Improved the TrFile_LaunchFile function, for files on remote SMB volumes.
- (Windows) Improved the TrFile_SaveFileDialog function.
- (Windows) Improved the TrFile_SelectFileDialog and TrFile_SaveFileDialog functions to work better with longer filepaths of up to 1000 characters.
- Fixed a link to a wrong place in the user guide.
- Cleaned up code in several places and prepared for universal binary. Also prepared registration handling for next release.
Version 3.0.6 (for FileMaker 7 and 8) (February 17th, 2006)
- Fixed a bug in TrFile_CreateFile, which could crash FileMaker in most cases.
Version 3.0.5 (for FileMaker 7 and 8) (February 15th, 2006)
- Fixed a bug in TrFile_MetaData, which could crash on certain jpeg images.
- Improved the TrFile_Launch function, for files residing on a network disk, with higher ASCII’s in the folder names.
- (Mac OS X) TrFile_CreateFile can now create files with no Creator or no FileType.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a bug in TrFile_DeleteFolder where in some cases no dialog would be shown.
- (Mac OS X) Improved TrFile_SetAttribute and TrFile_GetAttribute: Finder comments (from the Get Info window) are now properly set and retrieved. This also
works under Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) as Spotlight comments.
- Cleaned up code in several places and prepared for universal binary.
Version 220.127.116.11 (for FileMaker 7) (June 9th, 2005)
- Updated Overview.fp7. The detail data is now shown correctly.
- Updated the readme to reflect that upgrade registrations have been sent.
Version 3.0.4 (for FileMaker 7) (June 8th, 2005)
- Added two new functions to change the creation date and modification date of a file: TrFile_SetTimestampCreated and TrFile_SetTimestampModified. Added examples for this in the Attributes.fp7 example file.
- Added switch to TrFile_SetContents and TrFile_AppendContents functions: -CRtoCRLF. This switch makes it possible to write files using Windows line endings. Return characters in the text parameter are substituted with CRLF (Carriage Return followed by a Line Feed) in the written file.
- Improved the GetExif.fp7 example file: It now clears the field text when no IPTC data is present in the JPEG file.
- Added support for importing PDF files in the Import1Image.fp7 example file. This will work only on Mac OS X, as FileMaker only supports PDFs there.
Bug fixes and corrections
- Improved handling of Unicode in TrFile_CreateFolder function. The handling of Unicode is now more robust, as file paths with higher Unicode characters in both the foldername and the path are now handled correctly.
- (Windows) Fixed a bug in TrFile_SetContents, where the file length would not be set correctly, if the file already existed.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a resource conflict at idle time with other plug-ins. Also the plug-in no longer needs processor time when FileMaker is idle.
- Updated User Guide and included TrFile_Exists documentation.
Version 3.0.3 (for FileMaker 7) (November 10th, 2004)
- (Windows) The TrFile_SelectFolderDialog will now show a Make New Folder button in the dialog. You can turn this off using the -NoNewFolderButton switch.
- Added TrFile_Exists function that will return 1 if a file or folder exists. See the script “Test if file or folder Exists” in the DataIn.fp7 example. No other documentation yet available.
- Improved handling of Unicode in several functions. The handling of Unicode is now more robust, as file paths with higher Unicode characters in both the filename and the path are now handled correctly. This concerns these functions:
- (Windows) Improved handling of Unicode characters in TrFile_SelectFileDialog, TrFile_SaveFileDialog and TrFile_SelectFolderDialog. A prompt with higher Unicode characters is now displayed properly and also a path with higher Unicode characters is returned correctly.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a bug in TrFile_SaveFileDialog, where higher Unicode characters in the defaultName parameter did not work.
- Improved the TrFile_SetContents and TrFile_Append function: On Mac it can also write out ASCII characters 0.
NOTE At the moment it is NOT possible to write texts that contains ASCII 0 characters on Windows. This is caused by a bug in FileMaker Plug-ins API. The latest version of FileMaker Pro (at this time of writing: 7.0v3) still has this problem. We are investigating workarounds.
- (Windows) Fixed a bug in TrFile_DeleteFolder. It no longer returns $$6, when deleting a folder and all its subfolders.
- Improved the Diskmount.fp7 example file: It now is more obvious that there are more example records.
- Improved the conversion note FMP7ConversionNote.htm.
- Improved the ImageImport.fp7 example file to work better with the extension .jpeg.
- Improved the Diskmount.fp7 example file, it now is more obvious that there are more example records.
- Changed an error code in TrFile_DeleteFolder, so that it is the same on all platforms. When a directory to delete is not empty the function will no longer return $$145 on Windows, but $$-47 (fBsyErr), as on Mac.
IMPORTANT: please check your scripts as this might affect your error handling.
- (Mac OS X) Added a script step to disable a bug workaround in the plug-in. If you disable it the plug-in is more FileVault compatible. See the script: “Set AliasBug Workaround OFF” in the CreateFile.fp7 example, for information how to disable it.
Version 3.0.2 (for FileMaker 7) (15-Sept-2004)
- Improved Launch.fp7 file; now includes example to open a folder.
- Fixed a bug in TrFile_GetContents, which would crash the plug-in.
Version 3.0.1 (for FileMaker 7) (23-August-2004)
- Changed the name of the plug-in, to ensure better compatibility with the auto update functionality of FileMaker Server. Changed spaces to underscores: On Mac OS X the plug-in now is called Troi_File.fmplugin and on Windows: Troi_File_Plugin.fmx.
IMPORTANT: don’t forget to remove the previous Troi File.fmplugin.
- (Mac OS X) Improved handling of full paths with higher Unicode characters in them.
- (Mac OS X) Improved TrFile_Search function, it now also finds files with higher Unicode characters in the name.
- The functions TrFile_ListDisks, TrFile_ListFolder and TrFile_Search function no longer add a return at the end of the last line. TIP Add the -ReturnAtEnd switch if you want the last item to be followed by a return.
- Improved handling of filenames with long names in it.
- Improved TrFile_FullPathToFileSpec function.
- Fixed a bug in TrFile_GetContents where in some situations no error code would be returned.
- In the Define Calculation dialog box at the top right: TrFile_FindFolder now shows correctly that it only has one parameter: folderswitch.
- Improved the MultiPDF.fp7 example file to work when destination is a different hard disk.
- Improved the ImageImport.fp7 and Import1Image.fp7 example file to work with FileMaker 7.
- Added the user guide.
Version 3.0b2 beta (for FileMaker 7) (21-July-2004)
- The beta plug-in for Windows is now included!
- Exposed more functions calls in a calculation field, in Define Fields. You can now use several of the plug-in’s functions in a calculation field, making it for example possible to gather data without scripts.
NOTE: Not all of the plug-in’s functions are available in the Define Calculation Field dialog. We show only the ones that can be safely used in a calculation field.
- Changed the function TrFile_ThumbnailToClip to TrFile_CreateThumbnail. It now returns a thumbnail directly into a container, without using the clipboard!
IMPORTANT: please change your scripts to account for this change. See the Thumbnail.fp7 example file for an example on how to do this.
- New: Filtering on shown files types in the TrFile_SelectFileDialog function is now also possible on Windows, and adds powerful wildcard filtering too. See the SelectFile.fp7 example file in the download.
- Improved RefPict.fp7 example file, for importing pictures while storing only a reference. It now uses the new API, removed calls to the old API. And it also works on Windows.
- Improved MultiPDF.fp7 example file to work with Save as PDF option, as built-in in Mac OS X.
- The TrFile_ContentsDialog function no longer needs all the optional parameters, it can be called with only the switches parameter.
- Fixed a bug in TrFile_MetaData function. EXIF parsing no longer adds an extra null character at the end of text results.
Version 3.0b1 Beta (for FileMaker 7) (29-June-2004)
- Converted to new Function API of FileMaker Pro 7.
- Each function can now handle longer texts than the previous limit of 64000.
- Most functions now supports Unicode characters (see the FMP7 conversion notes for details).
- Converted example files to fp7 format and script steps to use the new functions names.
Version 2.8 (for FileMaker 6) (29-June-2004)
- Prepared plug-in for FileMaker 7
- The function “TrFile-GetPathTo” with the -CurrentFileName switch does not work with FileMaker Pro 7, and now returns in FileMaker 7 the error code “$$-4215” (kErrInvalidFMPVersion).Solution: use the build-in Get(FilePath) function. See the GetpathTo.fp7 example file in the download of File Plug-in 3.0, for an example on how to convert a FileMaker style path to a full path in the format the File Plug-in understands.
- The function “TrFile-ReferenceToClip” does not work with FileMaker Pro 7, and now returns in FileMaker 7 the error code “$$-4215” (kErrInvalidFMPVersion). Solution: use the FileMaker 7 native way to import as a reference. See the RefPict.fp7 example file in the download of File Plug-in 3.0.
- (Mac OS) The functions “TrFile-FileSpecToFullPath” and “TrFile-FullPathToFileSpec” will now pass on an error code, like for example $$-43.
- (Windows) fixed a bug in TrFile-Get FileSpec Dialog, TrFile-Save FileSpec Dialog and TrFile-ContentsDialog functions. If you used these functions, the enclosing folder of the last selected file could not be deleted, Windows would say “Cannot delete folder: It is being used by another program.”.
- (Mac OS X) you can now launch folders.
- (Windows) fixed a bug where TrFile-DeleteFile could return a random error code, when there was really no error.
- (Mac OS X) When using the function TrFile-FindFolder with the “-Root” switch, it now returns the top folder on the startup disk folder (for example “Mac HD:”) and no longer the System folder on the startup disk (for example “Mac HD:System:”).
IMPORTANT this may break a script if you assumed a result like: “Mac HD:System:”.
- (Windows) Instead of $$1 the date functions now return more descriptive (Mac like) error codes. This concerns these functions: TrFile-GetDateCreated, TrFile-GetTimeCreated, TrFile-GetDateTimeCreated, TrFile-GetDateModified, TrFile-GetTimeModified and TrFile-GetDateTimeModified.
- (Windows) The TrFile-CopyFile, the TrFile-MoveFile and the TrFile-GetFileSize will now return Mac like error codes. For example they will return error code $$-48 instead of $$183 when a file already exists.
- Improved example Import1Image.fp5.
- (Windows) Improved ListFolder function: it no longer needs a backslash at the end.
- (Windows download) Added forgotten Overview.fp5 file.
Version 2.7.1 (24-May-2004)
- (Mac) Improved correct display of dialog messages, like when the plug-in has stopped working. Also moved resources to a range not affected by the FileMaker application.
- (Windows) Removed possible beeping sound from TrFile-ReferenceToClip”.
- (Mac OS X) Improved example Import1Image.fp5, so that it now also works on Mac OS X.
Version 2.7 (19-Jan-2004)
- Improved the “TrFile-MetaData” function. Added 2 new switches “-SourceMacCharSet” and “-SourceWinCharSet”, to be used with the switch “-GetIPTC”. IPTC data in image files can have either Mac or Windows encoded higher ASCII characters in IPTC texts. With these new switches you can tell the plug-in which character encoding you expect in the image files. Alternatively you can retrieve both encodings and then see which is best.
NB: If you don’t specify a CharSet switch, the plug-in uses the encoding of the platform it is running on.
- (Mac OS X) Improved the “TrFile-ListFolder” function. Added support on Mac OS X for long filenames, up to 255 characters. By default the plug-in returns the truncated name. If you add the switch -longnames the plug-in can now return the long filenames.
- (Mac OS X) Improved the “TrFile-Search” function. Added support on Mac OS X for long filenames, up to 255 characters. By default the plug-in returns the truncated name. If you add the switch “-longnames” the plug-in can now return the long filenames.
- (Mac OS X) Improved the “TrFile-Search” function, you don’t longer have to add a colon “:” after the diskname.
- Added a switch “-CurrentAppFolder” to the TrFile-GetPathTo function, which returns the folder of the current running application. This is for example the folder of the FileMaker Pro application or the folder of the FileMaker runtime application.
- (Mac OS X only) Changed behaviour of the switch “-CurrentApplication”. This function now returns the FSSpec to the FileMaker application package (usually FileMaker Pro.app), instead of the carbon executable inside this package. So the full path will no longer be:
“MacHD:Applications:FileMaker Pro 6 Folder:FileMaker Pro.app:Contents:MacOS:FileMaker Pro”
Instead it will be:
“MacHD:Applications:FileMaker Pro 6 Folder:FileMaker Pro.app:”
Be aware that the FSSpec of this package is a folder!
IMPORTANT this may break a script if you assumed the “Contents:MacOS:FileMaker Pro” was at the end. If you only want to find the folder of the FileMaker application use the new switch “-CurrentAppFolder”.
- (Windows NT/XP) Fixed a bug in the TrFile-Substitute function: if you substituted in place and the replace string was shorter than the search string, garbage text could be appended at the end of the file.
- Fixed a bug in the TrFile-Substitute function: If you gave wrong parameter to the function (an empty source file string) the plug-in could crash. Now it properly returns $$-50 in this case.
- (Mac OS X only) Fixed a bug in the TrFile-FileSpec To FullPath function where higher ASCII characters in the path, like u-umlaut, would not be returned correctly.
- Improved example files: Removed pause in CreateFile.fp5 example; removed superfluous layout in FileManipulation.fp5 example and fixed link to Launch.fp5 in All File Examples.fp5.
- Improved the Import1Image.fp5 example file. On Mac OS X it now splits the selected path correctly into path and name.
- Improved the Image Catalog Sample File.
- (Mac) Registration now also works if the registration file has a “.txt” extension at the end.
Version 2.6.1 (10-Mar-2003)
- Added support on Mac OS X for mounting disks on WebDav servers (requires Mac OS X 10.2).
- Added support on Mac OS X for long file names, up to 255 characters, in full paths and FSSpecs. For example in the TrFile-CopyFile and TrFile-MoveFile function you can now move and copy with file names longer than 31 characters.
- Fixed a problem with slashes in path names or disk names on Mac OS X. In this case the Alias Manager would generate an error. The plug-in still tries the Alias Manager but if it fails it now also can fall back to a different method.
- Fixed problem with getting the FSSpec of a disk name on Mac OS 9.x. The plug-in still tries the Alias Manager but if it fails it now also can fall back to a different method.
- Improved TrFile-ReferenceToClip function for JPEG files. The image bounds are now determined, even if QuickTime is not installed.
- Improved retrieving IPTC data. the switch “-GetIPTC” in the “TrFile-MetaData” function. Higher ASCII characters in IPTC texts, like ü (u-umlaut), would not be returned.
- Improved -GetExif in the “TrFile-MetaData” function. In JPEG files saved with Photoshop 7 this would sometimes fail.
- Improved the example files: CreateFile.fp5, VTtoCR.fp5 and the SubstituteLineEnd.fp5, MountDisk.fp5, GetExif.fp5.
- Removed the 68k code from the plug-in. This plug-in can no longer run on Mac 68k machines.
- Updated the user guide.
Version 2.6 (10-Dec-2002)
- Improved the “TrFile-Substitute” function. You can now use replace strings of up to 64000 characters, enabling for example to substitute tags in template files with longer replacements.
- Added “TrFile-MountDisk” function, which can mount remote disks on a server.
- Added “TrFile-UnmountDisk” function for Windows, so this function is now available on all platforms.
- Added switch to “TrFile-DiskInfo” to check if a disk is a remote network disk.
- Added switch to “TrFile-DiskInfo” to get the total and free amount of Mb of a disk.
- Added switch to “TrFile-DiskInfo” to get the UNC name, like “//Server/share”, from a drive letter (Windows only).
- Added switch to “TrFile-DiskInfo” to get the driveletter, like “K:” from the UNC name (Windows only).
- Added DiskMount.fp5 example file, showing mounting and unmounting of disks.
- Improved the Import1Image.fp5 example file: improved scripts.
- Improved the Attribute example file.
- Improved the EXIF example file, removing old code.
- User Guide: fixed 2 hotlinks.
- Fixed a bug in the “TrFile-MetaData” function. The “-GetEXIF” now handles SHORT in an EXIF format better. With some files this could result in errors in the returned width, height or ISO.
- Added a great Image Catalog.fp5 example template (together with SmallCo).
- Fixed a problem with filtering files on Mac: you can now open all files of a given type (such as ‘TEXT’, for example) even if the creator is different.
Version 2.5 (03-June-2002)
- Improved the “TrFile-Substitute” function. You can now substitute in the same file! You can do this by leaving the destination parameter empty or specifying the same source file and destination file.
- Added a new switch -CurrentApplication to “TrFile-GetPathTo”, which returns the path to the FileMaker Application.
- Improved importing as a reference of EPS files. The
bounding box is now better respected, which should result in better printing behaviour.
- MP3 files can now also be imported as reference with the function “TrFile-ReferenceToClip” (Mac OS Only).
- Improved “TrFile-MetaData” function. The “-getIPTC”
switch now also works with IPTC data from certain files (especially files with a slightly different IPTC format, including Photoshop 6), instead of returning the error “$$-2026″. Also added a new example files demonstrating IPTC parsing and EXIF parsing”.
- Added support for Photoshops ImageURL format. Use the
function “TrFile-MetaData” with the switch”-GetImageURL” for this.
- “TrFile-FindFolder” is now also available on Windows, and can for example return the desktop folder.
- “TrFile-ListDisks” is now also available on Windows and returns the available disks, separated by a return, for example “C:<CR>D:<CR>E:<CR>”.
- Added Mac OS functionality to “TrFile-GetFileAttribute” to get the Finder Label and the Finder Comment, which are visible with the Get Info command in the Mac OS Finder.
- Added new attributes you can set with “TrFile-SetFileAttribute”: You can set the Finder Comment and Finder Label (Mac OS only).
- Added Mac OS functionality to
“TrFile-SetFileAttribute”. You can now set the Creator and the FileType.
- Added Windows functionality to “TrFile-DiskInfo” to get the Volume Serial Number (VSN) and the Volume Label of a hard disk.
- Improved the “TrFile-Launch” function. On Windows you can now add extra parameters to the launch command, which are then given to the launching application.
- Added 12 new example files, making a total of 32 and improved the existing ones.
- New user guide.
Version 2.2 (10-June-2001)
- Tested with FileMaker 5.5 and ported to Mac OS X. The Mac version of the plug-in is now a so called ‘Super Fat’ plug-in that will run on Mac OS 8, 9 and Mac OS X.
- All selection dialogs now use Navigation Services when available (Mac).
- Improved Import Image example file, fix bug with Win NT + FileMaker 5 and Added .PCT and .EPS as a supported extensions.
- Made error codes more cross platform. Instead of the generic error codes $$-1, $$-2 and $$-3, a proper error code is returned. This affects only the Windows platform and these functions: * CreateFolder, now returns $$-48 on Mac and Windows if the folder already exists * If the file didn’t not exist several functions returned the error code $$-1 on Windows. Now those functions return $$-43 on both Windows and Mac. examples are: SetContents, AppendContents, Substitute * instead of $$-2 and $$-3 proper error can now be returned.
- Improved Version function. It now also can show the Flash Dialog and return a version buildnumber.
- Fixed a bug in GetContents, where getting from the 2nd character would get from the 1st character instead.
- Fixed a bug in “TrFile-GetDateCreated” and “TrFile-GetDateModified” on Windows. These function were
returning the date derived from UTC (Coordinated Universal Time). This would some times result in creation or modification dates that were a day off. They now return the date based on the local time zone.
- “TrFile-ThumbnailToClip” with the thumbnail size of 80 no longer uses the default Quicktime function, as it had problems with the positioning of the bounds (like displaying it in to the left in Preview mode).
- Fixed a bug in Mac version of “TrFile-Search”: now aliases are only returned when you ask for them.
Version 2.1.2 (22-September-2000)
- Fixed a bug in “TrFile-ReferenceToClip” with the importing of BMP files (Win)
- Improved the multi image import sample.
- Added extra example file “CreateFolder”.
Version 2.1 (21-August-2000)
- Added “TrFile-ReferenceToClip” function. See the user guide for details.
- Added ThumbnailToClip for windows.
- Added Diskinfo to retrieve the count of folders of a disk; see example file
- Added -noDialog, bithDepth=8, size=128 options for ThumbnailToClip.
- Mac: fixed a bug in GetPathTo, which would not work correct as a runtime (from developer 5)
- Windows: fixed a bug in GetPathTo, which would not work correct as a runtime (from developer 5). NOTE: The fix is for Windows 95/98 only: We have not found a way to fix this in WindowsNT and Windows2000
- Mac: Fixed a rare bug where the full path was not correctly handled. If you had 2 disksnames starting with the same beginning, like “KES” and “KES Work” CopyFile and MoveFile etc could return file on wrong disk, due to an Aliasmanager bug.
- Windows: Improved handling of international characters, you can now save with higher ASCII in the prompt/filenames/path etc.
Version 2.0 (03-Apr-2000)
- Added extra parameter for the initial Directory. to the functions “ContentsDialog”, “Get FileSpec Dialog” and “Save FileSpec Dialog”. Now you can specify where the selection dialog starts.
Version 2.0b1 (21-Mar-2000)
- Added 12 functions: GetAttribute, SetAttribute, Substitute, DeleteFolder, SelectFolder, Disable/Enable Control, ConvertToFMText and ConvertFromFMText, GetPathTo (CurrentFile), (Get)MetaData, ListDisks (Mac), UnmountDisk.
- Windows: Fixed a bug where a dialog message would appear with the text: “Couldn’t close search handle”.
Version 1.5 (24-Feb-2000)
- Added User Guide
- Mac: Fixed a rare bug where the full path was not correctly handled. If you had 2 disksnames starting with the same beginning, like “KES” and “KES Work” CopyFile and MoveFile etc could return an errors.
Version 18.104.22.168 (12-Mar-1999)
- Mac: added code to bring the Finder to front when launching a file, to be able to show dialogs like “The document “…” could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found.”
Version 1.2.1 (10-Jan-99)
- added a built-in ‘register function’ for developers of runtimes.
- added the multi-import sample.
- fixed a bug with CreateFile on Windows. If the file exists the CreateFile now returns error code $$-48 (Duplicate FileName). In this situation also on Mac $$-48 is returned (was $$-1)
- added more example files (multi-image import, multi HTML export)
Version 1.2 (03-Jul-98)
- clearer errorcodes returned by TrFile-Launch function.
- added TrFile-FolderList function
- added TrFile-Launch function
- removed the startup flash screen. Now a flash screen is shown the first time the plug-in functionality is used. This flash screen is removed after payment of the licence fee.
- added example demonstrating Multiple import and export.
- added example demonstrating Multiple creation using PDFWriter.
- improved handling of FSSpec to FullPath.
Version 1.1 (29-4-98)
- added create folder
- added find folder
- added file copy and move
- file copy now returns an errorcode if destination file exists
- added partial read and appendToFile
- added Multiple file export demonstration
- split into 3 separate plugins: Troi Dialog Plug-in, Troi Coding Plug-in and Troi File Plug-in
Version 1.0 (29-1-98) First release
- fixed a bug on 68k machines which disposed of a pointer improperly.
We offer the following licenses for Troi File Plug-in:
single user, 10-user and 25-user license: these are meant for using the plug-in client-side, on FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced, including with files hosted by FileMaker Server. You need a license for every user that makes calls to the plug-in’s functions.
developer license: this license is meant for FileMaker solution developers, who want to include the plug-in with their solution(s) and distribute it to their end-users. Each of your end-users may use the plug-in with up to 25 users (contact us if any of your customers has more than 25 users). The number of organizations you distribute the plug-in to and the number of solutions you distribute it with are not limited. Works on FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced, including with files hosted by FileMaker Server.
Go to the developer license page for more info.
server/web license: this license registers the plug-in for use on FileMaker Server and FileMaker Server Advanced. You only need this license if you want to use the plug-in in server-side scripts and in web published databases. It has no user limit.
Go to the server-side plug-ins page for more info.
All licenses work both on macOS and on Windows.
|single user license||US $ 99 per user|
|10-user license||US $ 449|
|25-user license||US $ 749|
|developer license||US $ 749|
|server/web license||US $ 449|
Upgrading from version 8.5 is free: version 8.6.1 uses the same 8.5 registration code. If you bought a license on or after November 1, 2015 the upgrade to version 8.6.1 is also free. We have emailed all eligible customers a new 8.5 registration string. Contact us if you have not received yours.
If you bought a license before November 1, 2015, you will need to buy an upgrade to use the 8.6.1 version:
|single user license upgrade||US $ 59 per user|
|10-user license upgrade||US $ 249|
|25-user license upgrade||US $ 349|
|developer license upgrade||US $ 349|
|server/web license upgrade||US $ 249|
Below are a few things our users had to say about Troi File Plug-in:
“Your customer service is first-class, there are many companies that could learn a lot from you about how to help and advise their clients. I really appreciate it.”
David Fox, WhatHat Ltd.
“I like to thank you for an excellent plugin that has made many of my solutions two steps better than I ever could do in pure FileMaker.”
Johan Hedman, certified FileMaker developer at PositionEtt AB, Sweden
“I really have to say, that Troi File Plug-in is a fantastic extension for Filemaker. Troi opens a wide range of possibilities to improve our database and helps us a lot, to make the photo-handling easier.”
Daniel Stöckli, Switzerland
“We have used a single version of the original Troi File classic plug-in for a several years, converting last week to a 10 user of the v4 version for Filemaker 8+.
I was amazed how quick and easy it was to convert our code, as we use the Troi File functionality in about 40 instances across about 15 scripts.
You can see the result at www.recruiting.co.nz
Thank you for developing and supporting Troi File so professionally, in the future I’m sure we will use more of your products.”
Paul Royse, www.recruiting.co.nz
“I think this is a fantastic product, it does what it says and I am overwhelmed by the functionality that is offered.”
Peter Cross, read his complete review of Troi File Plug-in on the FMPug website
“I just want to let you know how highly I think of your product, Troi File. I’ve been developing a commercial solution that makes extensive use of the plug-in. It’s easy to use and most importantly, it’s rock solid. I’ve emailed you support questions from time to time and they are always answered with the information to solve the problem.
I cannot praise your product enough.”
Randy Lawrence, Absolute Advantage, Inc.
“Two weeks ago I had a very intensive project; full automation of a data conversion routine involving import and export of thousands of files. The Troi File Plug-In (and your very helpful and timely advice) made it all happen and get delivered on time.
In the past years of doing FileMaker development the most visionary and extensive projects I have been involved in have used Troi Plug-Ins as an essential component. Troi Plug-Ins give the ability to automagically harness system level processes; the simplest way of describing it is a “Wow” factor on the client’s side and a fundamentally elegant, straightforward, and fast scripting process from the developer’s perspective. They put a powerhouse of programming behind FileMaker’s ease of use.
Although I have used them for a wide range of functions I still feel I’ve only scratched the surface of Troi Plug-Ins possible applications. Much thanks for providing an essential tool to FileMaker developers.”
Beatrice Beaubien, i2eye, Toronto, Canada
“Thought you might be interested to hear about something we’ve done using Troi File and Troi Coding.” Read how Noam Sturmwind of Oak Bay Softrends, Inc. manages to update the local files on his client’s workstations by automatically downloading a new copy of the files when the workstation connects to the server. “Not only does this save us a lot of time in re-installing on each workstation, it also means that we don’t have to worry about local files becoming corrupted.”
Noam Sturmwind, Oak Bay Softrends, Inc., Vancouver, BC, Canada Read the whole story
Troi File to the rescue!
Read how Troi File Plug-in helped Heather McCue of OshVay Associates to migrate thousands of databases for a client and improve another client’s PDF reporting solution:
“Thank you Troi, we could not have managed without you!”
Heather McCue, OshVay Associates, Raleigh, NC Read the whole story
“Troi File Plug-in is a truly great product. I just wish I had looked into it properly when it first came out. If I had known just how powerful this tool was I’d have bought it for all my clients years ago.
Many thanks for a great product”
Peter Makin, Makin Rochard Ltd., United Kingdom
“Don’t leave home without Troi File Plug-in.”
Doug Rowe, Robyte Consulting
“Thank you for your new plug-in!
I bought it in about 10 seconds after I saw it can do exactly what I have been trying to do with Applescript unsuccessfully.
Using Filemaker to organize my cruise reviews, I was looking for a convenient way to export the html to a file.
I had been using the legacy Keyquencer to copy and paste information into a text-editor, and then save the file. To update my html files, this would take about 2 hours!
Your timing could not have been better. Now I can do the same task in about 2 seconds. Well worth the price of the plug-in!
Thanks for all your great work”.
Greg “Pepe” Giese, www.cruisingreview.com
“This plugin has become somewhat integral to many of the solutions I’ve worked on here. It’s a lifesaver!”
Tony Pottrell, Human Engineering
“At the recent suggestion of Dana Perry, I took a look at the Troi File Plug-in in the context of testing for the existence of the Adobe Acrobat Reader program (before launching PDF files from FileMaker). My study of the plug-in confirmed for me the great power of this tool for a variety of other tasks, including the automation of upgrades. I developed a routine with FileMaker and the Troi File Plug-in that I thought might interest other users.” Read more about it here.
Vince Lackner, The Lackner Group, Inc.
“As you might be aware, Brushfire for the Mac originally was written using AppleScript as the glue to pull the components together. When we ported Brushfire to the PC, we decided to use the Troi File plug-in. With Brushfire 1.5 we are using the Troi File plug-in on both Mac and PC versions. Not only was development with the plug-in smoother and easier than the AppleScript development, but the resulting code is more solid and robust. Since the switch to the Troi File plug-in our customer support telephone calls have dropped over 20%. I only wish we had started the project this way! Thank you for providing such an excellent tool.”
Russell Kohn, Chaparral Software & Consulting Services, Inc.
“I can’t thank you enough for this plug in. It is incredible what I have been able to do with FileMaker now that I have found your plug in. It’s simple to understand and I don’t think I could use FileMaker without it. I use it to create thousands of web pages from my FileMaker database very easily.”
Ben Levitan, USA
“Hello, Troi folks!
First, thanks for a great plugin in TroiFile! I’ve been using it to help power a great web site, www.topekamls.com (not available from 4:00 to 4:30 AM CST (GMT-7)). There we are using TroiFile, in concert with some calc fields in FMP, to detect whether a given house listing in our “available properties” FMP database actually has a picture on the hard drive or not, by using the TroiFile GetSize command – if it has a size, it’s got a picture! Saved our bacon for sure, as the database we’re importing the housing data from doesn’t have any kind of field that would otherwise let me know if any given record has an associated picture or not. Many thanks!
We’re also using TroiFile to write lasso-enabled template-based web sites for us. It writes from an FMP database which stores the raw HTML, and then substitues in customer-specific data right before TroiFile writes that html to a file out on the web server. We’ve got it writing about 500, 3-page websites every week for us, at a rate of about 1 complete site in 0.13 seconds on a rather modest AMD K6-2 450. Talk about profitability (and more time for our web designers to do other things)!”
John Krische, Krische Database Systems, Topeka, KS, USA
“From the US side of the pond, I offer my sincere thanks for the work you put into the File Plug-In. I didn’t realize the limitations that are inherent to FMP5 (Win) until I built my solution and found I couldn’t include badly needed features. After being directed to your web site by a fellow developer I downloaded and tested the evaluation copy. Shortly thereafter I purchased the Developer License.
What a Blessing the plug-in has been. It is everything that is advertised and then some. Thanks for an excellent piece of software. If my FMP solution is half as helpful and successful as your File Plug-in, I will be elated.”
Gary Hopps, Carthage, NY, USA
“I am having much success with your “Troi File” Plug-In- Thank You for making such a GREAT Product! Keep up the good work- Your products are an asset to the Filemaker community!”
James L. (Jay) Knight, Jr., Lead Developer Infotraxx Systems, Inc.
“The Troi File Plug-in is a very powerful addition to a FileMaker user’s armoury.”
Richard Dyce, MacUser UK
“This plug-in rocks! Keep up the great work”
Enrique Pardo, edesign graphic studio, Geneva, Switzerland
“I tried Troi’s file plug in and the demo file sucked in a folder full of JPEGs from my Mavica 91. All the plug in needs is a little sound file that makes the sound heard when emptying the contents of a container via a straw….slurrrrrpppp…”
Jack Rodgers, FileMaker developer
“I grabbed this plug-in, took it for a spin and it is totally the tool that I’ve needed for many a moon. AND it has many many other features that have my wheels turning – Thank you for this piece of Magick!”
Fritz Jung, The Witches’ Voice www.witchvox.com
“Thanks for the brilliant software. The Troi File and Text plug-ins keep making my work much easier.”
Eric Smith McGill University Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“FANTASTIC! and Congratulations! I love the File Plug-in and can’t wait to try out these new and exciting features! Great work! Especially the new folder functions: DeleteFolder, SelectFolder!”
Eric S. Pecoraro, Proxiva Corporation
“I started developing with the demo, and it is a joy to be able to do the things you can do with the File plug-in.”
Johan Edenvik, Database and Web Developer of Administrator Finansservice AB, Sweden
“I’am very happy with your plugins they’re better than FileMaker itself !!”
dipl. Ing. HTL Longin Ziegler, www.ismile.ch
We are still collecting more comments. If you have any remarks on the File Plug-in please send us your comments. Thanks!
Click images to enlarge
File Plug-in FAQ
See a list of Frequently Asked Questions about this plug-in.
Some ideas how Troi File Plug-in can help you manage images, movies and other files.
Get Icons into FileMaker Pro
How to easily add the icons of files on your disk to your FileMaker app.
Selecting Files in FileMaker
How to let a user select a file on disk, for example to get the contents into filemaker.
Files and Folders and FileMaker
Easily see which files or folders are in a folder.
File Plug-in Conversion from FileMaker Pro 6
(Older) information on how to convert databases which use Troi File from FileMaker Pro 6 to FileMaker Pro 7 and later.
Manipulate any information on your disk directly from within FileMaker Pro!