FileMaker Pro 16 to 19.4
FileMaker Server 16 to 19
macOS 10.14 to 12
Windows 8 to 11
Trigger scripts on remote computers
Troi Activator Plug-in is a very powerful tool for triggering scripts remotely. All from within FileMaker you can:
- trigger a FileMaker script on a different computer (remotely)
- trigger a FileMaker script over internet
- use the built-in security to prevent unauthorized triggering
- send a number (e.g. a record ID) and a long text with the trigger
- start and stop listening for remote trigger messages with a script step
- communicate with databases in different FileMaker versions or even runtimes
This allows you to:
- notify a colleague (on a different computer) of changes in his/her appointments
- start processing, like for example retrieve email on a server computer
- get someone out of a record, so that it is no longer locked
Except from remote triggering you can also use the Activator Plug-in for:
- triggering a script on a specified date and time
- scheduling events which trigger any script you want
- starting a script, where the name of the script is determined by a calculation
- monitoring a folder and starting a script when a file or folder is added, removed or modified
- triggering a script from a tooltip calculation
- validating fields on exiting a record with a custom script suited to your specific needs
Web Server functionality
The Activator Plug-in has a built-in HTTP Server, which will trigger a script when data arrives. This can be implemented with the function Actr_StartHTTPServer or the Start HTTP Server script step. There are several ways in which you can use this functionality:
Script triggering via a URL
With Troi Activator Plug-in you can trigger a script with a URL, using the HTTP GET method. Use a URL like this:
You can specify an (optional) password like this:
You can also add
waitForResponse=yes to the triggerscript.html URL, for example likes this:
In the triggered script you can then specify the response text with the Actr_SetHTTPResponse function or Set HTTP Response script step. This sets the (HTML) text which is returned to the remote client in response to the HTTP URL request sent to the Activator Web Server.
Image Upload Server
Troi Activator Plug-in can also serve as an Image Upload Server. It can receive uploaded images including GPS coordinates. With the GPS coordinates a location on a map (by OpenStreetMap) can be shown. You can use this functionality to easily upload data from remote devices. For more details please see the Image Upload Server page.
Echo an HTTP request
The HTTP server also has an echo function. This will echo back the HTTP request, including the method and headers used. This can help with debugging an HTTP problem. Use this functionality for example to test HTTP requests with custom headers you want to send with Troi URL Plug-in.
Activator Plug-in can trigger silent events and background events. This allows you to keep the main application free, while the background FileMaker application, for example a runtime application, does some time consuming work on data.
Troi Activator has a control function to disable all script triggers, so you can do maintenance on the database.
- create a real-time appointment solution
- notify a colleague (on a different computer) that a shared document is ready
- accept HTTP GET and POST requests to activate a script
- automatically process new files that are added to a folder (see our File Plug-in for all kinds of file manipulation functions)
- start processing scientific data on a lab computer (see our Serial Plug-in for connecting to devices with a serial interface)
- keep the main application free, while the background FileMaker application, for example a runtime application, does some time consuming work on data
- get someone out of a record, so that it is no longer locked
The possibilities are only limited by your imagination!
Try Troi Activator Plug-in before you buy
You are free and invited to test the plug-in before you pay. Troi Activator Plug-in is fully functional in demo mode, it will only stop working after 2 hours of testing. Download your copy here.
Troi Activator Plug-in 8.0.1
Troi Activator Plug-in 8.0 was tested and made compatible with Claris FileMaker Pro 19.4 and initial support was added for the upcoming release of Claris Pro. The plug-in was also tested and made compatible with macOS 11.6 (Big Sur) and macOS 12 (Monterey). The minimum supported macOS version is now macOS 10.14 (Mojave). On Windows the plug-in was tested and made compatible with Windows 10 version 21H2 (November 2021 Update) and Windows 11.
In this version we improved the Upload Server functionality for text posted to the url “/posttext.html”: you can now allow any text to be uploaded by adding the switch “-AllowAnyPostedText” when starting the HTTP server. If you don’t add this switch, only text that is correctly formatted will be handled and trigger a script.
We also fixed a few smaller issues both on macOS and on Windows.
Please see the Version history below for a complete list of changes in this and earlier versions.
Troi Activator Plug-in 8.0.1 (for FileMaker 16 to 19.4) (May 18, 2022)
- (macOS) Fixed a problem where the plug-in would not load, and show a expired beta dialog.
Troi Activator Plug-in 8.0 (for FileMaker 16 to 19.4) (May 17, 2022)
- Tested and made compatible with Claris FileMaker Pro 19.4.
- Tested and made compatible with macOS 11.6 (Big Sur) and macOS 12 (Monterey).
- Tested and made compatible with Windows 11 and Windows 10 version 21H2 (November 2021 Update).
- Added initial support for the upcoming release of Claris Pro.
- Improved the Upload Server functionality for text posted to the url “/posttext.html”: you can now allow any text to be uploaded to the server. To enable this add the switch “-AllowAnyPostedText” when starting the server with the Start HTTP Server script step or Actr_StartHTTPServer function. If you don’t add this switch the Upload Server will only handle incoming text that is formatted like this:
your UTF8 formatted text
- Fixed a problem with the Upload Server functionality for text sent to the url “/posttext.html”: the plug-in no longer triggers a script when improperly formatted text or an empty string was posted.
- Added Switches option to the Start HTTP Server script step.
- (macOS) Fixed a bug that prevented the plug-in from loading in FileMaker Pro 16 (installing it would result in error code 1550).
- (macOS) Fixed a problem on macOS 12 (Monterey) and FileMaker Pro 19.4, where the plug-in would not show the plug-in icon in the flash dialog.
- (macOS) Updated the source code and project to a new version.
- (Windows) Fixed a small memory leak when running the plug-in’s HTTP Server for extended periods of time.
- Improved the folder trigger response for the Actr_AddFolderTrigger function.
- IMPORTANT (macOS only) The minimum supported macOS version is now macOS 10.14 (Mojave).
Troi Activator Plug-in 7.0 (for FileMaker 16 to 19) (July 20, 2021)
- Tested and made compatible with Claris FileMaker Pro 19.3.
- (macOS) The plug-in now runs natively on Apple Silicon: made the plug-in a Universal binary by adding code for the arm64 architecture of macOS.
- Tested and made compatible with macOS 11.4 (Big Sur).
- Tested and made compatible with Windows 10 version 20H2 (October 2020 Update) and version 21H1 (May 2021 Update).
- (Windows) Added echo functionality to the HTTP server when running on Windows. The plug-in will echo back the HTTP request, including the method and headers used. This can help with debugging an HTTP problem. The response can be either plain text or HTML formatted. To get a plain text echo send the request to a URL like this:
To get an HTML formatted text send the request to a URL like this:
- Improved script triggering in several functions: the plug-in now also triggers scripts where the filename parameter contains a period in the name and the (.fmp12) extension was not included (the FileMaker function “Get(Filename)” will not include the extension).For example if the filename parameter given is “Contacts1.0” the plug-in now adds the .fmp12 extension, resulting in “Contacts1.0.fmp12”.
- (Windows) Improved the Actr_AddFolderTrigger function: the memory handling is more efficient and robust.
- Updated the example files to beter handle newer plug-in versions.
Other changes and improvements
- Changed a possible error code that can be returned by the Add Folder Trigger script step or the Actr_AddFolderTrigger function: when you hit the maximum number of folder triggers the plug-in now returns $$-4403 (kErrMaxNumberOfFolderTriggers). This was $$-4295, but this error code could also be returned by the Troi File Plug-in in a different situation (kErrCantOpenItem).
- (macOS) Improved compatibility when running FileMaker Pro 19 in dark mode, the flash dialog is now more visible.
- (macOS) Improved loading the plug-in with runtime apps created with FileMaker Pro 18.
- (macOS) If the plug-in can’t load a bundle at start-up, the plug-in will now write a detailed error to the system.log. See the Console.app in this case (search for FileMaker in the system.log).
- Updated the plug-in to use the latest libraries or modern frameworks where possible.
- IMPORTANT (macOS only) The minimum supported FileMaker version is now FileMaker Pro 16. Also the minimum supported macOS version is now macOS 10.13 (High Sierra).
Troi Activator Plug-in 6.0.1 (for FileMaker 15 to 19) (May 26, 2020)
- Tested and made compatible with Claris FileMaker Pro 19.
- Tested and improved compatibility with macOS Catalina up to version 10.15.4.
- Updated the examples and user guide for Claris FileMaker Pro 19.
- (macOS) Removed unneeded log entry at startup.
Troi Activator Plug-in 6.0 (for FileMaker 15 to 18) (April 2, 2020)
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 18.
- Tested and made compatible with macOS 10.15 (Catalina).
- Tested and made compatible with Windows 10 up to version 1909 (November 2019 Update).
- Added new Add Folder Trigger script step. It adds a folder action, which triggers a script when the monitored folder is changed.
- Added new Remove Folder Trigger script step. It removes a previously added folder trigger.
- Added new Actr_AddFolderTrigger function. It adds a folder action, which triggers a script when the monitored folder is changed.
- Added new Actr_RemoveFolderTrigger function. It removes a previously added folder trigger.
- Added a new FolderTrigger.fmp12 example file.
- (macOS) Added echo functionality to the HTTP server. The plug-in will echo back the HTTP request, including the method and headers used. This can help with debugging an HTTP problem. The response can be either plain text or HTML formatted. To get a plain text echo send the request to a URL like this:
To get an HTML formatted text send the request to a URL like this:
NOTE you need to change the URL to point to the Activator HTTP server.
TIP Use this functionality to test HTTP requests with custom headers you want to send with our Troi URL Plug-in.
- Updated HTTPResponse.fmp12 to demonstrate the new Echo functionality.
Other changes and improvements
- Fixed a problem in the HTTP server where an empty POST request would block until timeout.
- Small improvement to the HTTPResponse.fmp12 example file.
- Fixed a typo (a URL) in the trigger.html test page.
- Updated the EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12 file, it can now remove the old Troi Activator Plug-in 4.5 without causing a crash. You no longer need to remove it manually.
Troi Activator Plug-in 5.0 (for FileMaker 14 to 17) (April 23, 2019)
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 17.0.4.
- Added script triggering via a URL (using the GET HTTP method). This functionality is available on macOS and Windows. You can now trigger a script with a URL like this:
- You can specify an (optional) password like this:
- You can also add
waitForResponse=yesto the triggerscript.html URL, for example likes this:
- Added new Set HTTP Response script step, which sets the (HTML) text which is returned to the remote client in response to the HTTP URL request sent to the Activator Web Server.
- Added new Actr_SetHTTPResponse function, which sets the (HTML) text which is returned to the remote client in response to the HTTP URL request sent to the Activator Web Server.
- Added a new HTTPResponse.fmp12 example file.
- The Activator Web Server functionality, including the Image Upload Server functionality, is now also available on Windows. This can be implemented with the function Actr_StartHTTPServer (see also the UploadData.fmp12 example).
- (Windows) Added code signing to the plug-in for Windows. (On macOS code signing was already added in version 4.5).
- The plug-in now indicates if an external script step is compatible with a product. The step is shown in grey if it is incompatible for that product (for example for iOS) in the script editing pane (center) and the script steps pane (right).
- (macOS) Prepared the plug-in for notarization: the plug-in can now be added to a runtime, to create a hardened FileMaker runtime app which can be notarized by Apple. Notarization gives users more confidence, as the runtime has been checked by Apple for malicious components.
- Updated the code base, the plug-in now uses more modern C++ libraries.
Other changes and improvements
- IMPORTANT (macOS only) The minimum supported FileMaker version is now FileMaker Pro 14. Also the minimum supported Mac OS version is now OS X 10.9 (Mavericks). You can keep using v4.5.1 for older versions of FileMaker Pro or Mac OS X.
- (macOS) The plug-in no longer has the 32-bit code included.
- Improved the initialization when installing the plug-in with the FileMaker Pro “Install Plug-In File” script step.
- Updated the EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12 file, it can show additional error information from Get(LastExternalErrorDetail) when it is available. The EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12 file can also run a test registration script for a plug-in after you have installed it on FileMaker Server.
- Updated the UploadData.fmp12 example file to use OpenStreetMap for displaying a map when the data contains GPS coordinates.
- Updated the example files for FileMaker Pro Advanced 17.
- (macOS) Removed old code dealing with resources.
- Made small corrections to the user guide.
Troi Activator Plug-in 4.5 (for FileMaker 12 to 16) (September 4, 2017)
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 16.
- Rewrote and modernized the code in several places.
- Added namespace handling and improved the internal registration of function calls to make the plug-in more robust.
- (Mac OS) Added code signing to the plug-in.
- (Mac OS) Improved export of symbols: now only the symbols that are required are exported by the plug-in.
- Made various minor changes to the example files to better work with FileMaker Pro 16.
- Updated the User Guide and the Reference.fmp12 file.
Extra features when running FileMaker Pro 16
- The Activator Plug-in adds multiple script steps when running FileMaker Pro 16.
You can select these script steps in the script steps pane in Script Workspace, or you can begin typing the script step name, then choose the script step from the list that appears.
The script steps expand the possible actions you can perform with FileMaker Pro. The following 10 script steps are added:
- Schedule Script Trigger
- Send Remote Script Trigger
- Delete Script Trigger
- Start Message Listener
- Stop Message Listener
- Start HTTP Server
- Stop HTTP Server
- Put Computer to Sleep
- Restart Computer
- Shutdown Computer
NOTE Only steps that perform an action have been added as a script step. Functions that have no side effect (like for example Actr_GetIPAddress) are only available as an external function.
- Added new scripts to the RemoteTriggers.fmp12, ScheduleTriggers.fmp12, ShutdownRestart.fmp12, Sleep.fmp12 and UploadData.fmp12 example files, to demonstrate how to use the new external script steps of FileMaker Pro 16. The examples check if FileMaker Pro 16 is running and will then select these new scripts.
- Added support for online help for the functions and script steps of the plug-in. You can now easily get online help from the Troi website, by clicking the Help button (the small question mark button) next to the function description in the functions pane or the script step description in the script steps pane.
- Fixed a possible memory leak when receiving messages send by the Actr_SendRemoteEvent function.
- (Mac OS) Fixed a bug in the Actr_SendRemoteEvent function, which in some cases could cause a crash.
- Fixed a bug in the Actr_StartListener function: when you receive a remote message the yourText text could contain an invisible ASCII null character at the end.
- (Mac OS) Fixed a bug which could cause a crash when quiting FileMaker Pro.
- Fixed a bug in the Actr_RunScript function, the plug-in now returns an error code if the script did not trigger.
When the database name does not exist error code $$-4232 (kErrNoSuchDatabase) is returned. And when the script name does not exist error code $$-4233 (kErrNoSuchScript) is returned.
Troi Activator Plug-in versions for FileMaker Pro 12, 13, 14 and 15
Version 4.0 for FileMaker 12, 13, 14 and 15 (June 14, 2016)
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 15.
- Tested and improved compatibility with Windows 10 and OS X 10.11 (El Capitan).
- You can now schedule up to 1500 events to trigger, up from 1000.
- Added description and type-ahead information for all functions of the plug-in. This extra function description will be shown in FileMaker Pro 15 in the Specify Calculation dialog box when you type a function name and also as a text popup in the functions pane on the right.
The type-ahead information is used by the auto complete functionality of FileMaker Pro 15. In the calculation pane of the Specify Calculation dialog box you can type a letter or two of the function name and instantly see a list of matching function names. For example when you type “sch”, the auto complete functionality will suggest the Actr_ScheduleEvent function. You can also type a function name in the functions pane on the right: for example if you type “HTTP” you will see all the functions with HTTP in the name, like Actr_StartHTTPServer.
- Improved the multi-threading behavior of the plug-in when running in FileMaker Pro 15.
- Improved the example file EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12, to provide more help when an installation error occurs.
- Updated the UploadData.fmp12 example file: it now correctly shows a Google Map in a webviewer.
- Fixed a possible memory leak in the HTTP Server when receiving GPS location data.
- Fixed a typo in the web page of the http server.
- Fixed several bugs, rewrote and modernized the code in several places and made further improvements.
- Updated the User Guide and the Overview.fmp12 file.
Older release notes
For older release notes please see here.
We offer the following licenses for Troi Activator Plug-in:
single user, 10-user and 25-user license: these are meant for using the plug-in client-side, on FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced, including with files hosted by FileMaker Server. You need a license for every user that makes calls to the plug-in’s functions.
developer license: this license is meant for FileMaker solution developers, who want to include the plug-in with their solution(s) and distribute it to their end-users. Each of your end-users may use the plug-in with up to 25 users (contact us if any of your customers has more than 25 users). The number of organizations you distribute the plug-in to and the number of solutions you distribute it with are not limited. Works on FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced, including with files hosted by FileMaker Server.
Go to the developer license page for more info.
server/web license: this license registers the plug-in for use on FileMaker Server and FileMaker Server Advanced. It does not provide any client-side functionality. You only need this license if you want to use the plug-in in server-side scripts and in web published databases. It has no user limit.
Go to the server-side plug-ins page for more info.
All licenses work both on macOS and on Windows.
|single user license||US $ 99 per user|
|10-user license||US $ 329|
|25-user license||US $ 499|
|developer license||US $ 499|
|server/web license||US $ 329|
If you have a license for a previous version, you can buy an upgrade for version 8.0. If you bought a license on or after July 20, 2021, the upgrade to version 8.0 is FREE! Note: eligible users have been sent a new 8.0 registration. Contact us if you have not received yours.
If you bought a license before July 20, 2021, you will need to buy an upgrade to use the 8.0 version:
|single user license upgrade||US $ 59 per user|
|10-user license upgrade||US $ 199|
|25-user license upgrade||US $ 299|
|developer license upgrade||US $ 299|
|server/web license upgrade||US $ 199|
Below are a few things our users had to say about Troi Activator Plug-in:
“I needed a reliable way to get FM6 to ‘send’ data to FM7. I was considering XML and CWP calls, timed export/imports every minute, etc. But someone suggested Troi Activator and I can’t speak highly enough of the solution. It was simple, simple, simple to set up on both sides of the FileMaker divide. And it works across the network with the most incredible behind-the-scenes speed. What I ended up doing was setting up a ‘bot’ machine that runs FM7 with the plug-in, and then the four FM6 machines that need to communicate with 7 also have the plug-in installed. I guess I was expecting some kind of glitch like screen flash or momentary system freeze or something when the plug-in was activated, so I was very impressed — awed actually — that I saw my local copy of 7 (over a WAN connection to the client) updated only a second after the plug-in script was activated on 6 to the 7 bot. Up to 6000 characters of text can be sent along with the plug-in’s script trigger, so no unreliable exports/imports of data were required.
I highly, highly recommend this solution if anyone else needs to do such a thing…
Howard Schlossberg, FM Professional Solutions
“Originally we purchased the developer license of the Activator plug-in just to be able to trigger scripts on a field change. To our surprise, the script scheduling and ability to trigger scripts on a remote machine are just as valuable to us now. This is a plug-in that a FileMaker developer would be foolish to live without.”
Shawn Hogan, Lead Engineer at Digital Point Solutions
“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Very rarely do I go to any effort to write someone a thank-you note when I purchase their software. However, this time, it certainly warrants it.Your plug-in, “Activator” has saved me – literally – hundreds of hours and an immense amount of heartache in my runtime solution, which is a massive relational system for managing flight operations at one of Canada’s busiest airports.
The activator script allows me to simply forward requests through to other systems where they can be parsed and acted upon, without having to contend with establishing relationships, multi-user issues, or any of that stuff.
Thank-you Soooooo much for this plugin!”
Stephen Grant, Toronto, Canada
“Great work Peter! What will you think of next?!”
Clint Roberts, Senior Technical Editor for ISO FileMaker Magazine.
“We just heard about and started playing with the Activator Plug-in. It looks great. Once again you’ve provided the FileMaker community with a tool that empowers us to create innovative solutions to data management challenges. Our heartfelt thanks and congratulations to you and your team. Your fine work is appreciated.”
Sean Branney, DataEmporium.Net.
“You’ve the first really usable Plug-in for scheduling scripts. Congratulations to this great Plug-in. :-)) “
Longin Ziegler, ismile.
“This plug-in is fantastic. And as usual from Troi it works really well and comes with excellent examples.”
review from Paul de Halle on VersionTracker.
We are still collecting more comments. If you have any remarks on the Activator Plug-in please send us your comments. Thanks!
Click images to enlarge
Activator Plug-in online help
Function and script step reference.
Activator Plug-in FAQ
See a list of Frequently Asked Questions about this plug-in.
Activator HTTP Server
Read how to use Troi Activator Plug-in’s built-in HTTP Server for triggering scripts from a URL.
Image Upload Server setup instructions
Read how to configure Troi Activator as an Image Upload Server, enabling your FileMaker Pro database to receive images including (GPS) location data.
Troi Activator Plug-in compared to script triggers in FileMaker 10 and later
Read a more detailed comparison between native script triggering in FileMaker 10 and later and Troi Activator Plug-in.
Activator Plug-in Conversion from FileMaker Pro 6
(Older) information on how to convert databases which use the Activator, from FileMaker Pro 6 to FileMaker Pro 7 and later.
Trigger FileMaker Pro scripts across the network, even over internet!