FileMaker Pro 12-16
FileMaker Server 12-16
macOS X 10.6.x – 10.13
Trigger scripts on remote computers
Troi Activator Plug-in is a very powerful tool for triggering scripts remotely. All from within FileMaker you can:
- trigger a FileMaker script on a different computer (remotely)
- trigger a FileMaker script over internet
- use the built-in security to prevent unauthorized triggering
- send a number (e.g. a record ID) and a long text with the trigger
- start and stop listening for remote trigger messages with a script step
- communicate with databases in different FileMaker versions or even runtimes
This allows you to:
- notify a colleague (on a different computer) of changes in his/her appointments
- start processing, like for example retrieve email on a server computer
- get someone out of a record, so that it is no longer locked
Except from remote triggering you can also use the Activator Plug-in for:
- triggering a script on a specified date and time
- scheduling events which trigger any script you want
- starting a script, where the name of the script is determined by a calculation
- triggering a script from a tooltip calculation
- validating fields on exiting a record with a custom script suited to your specific needs
Image Upload Server
Troi Activator Plug-in can serve as an Image Upload Server. It can receive uploaded images including GPS coordinates. With the GPS coordinates a location on a (Google) map can be shown. You can use this functionality to easily upload data from remote devices. More details on the Image Upload Server page.
Activator Plug-in can trigger silent events and background events. This allows you to keep the main application free, while the background FileMaker application, for example a runtime application, does some time consuming work on data.
Troi Activator has a control function to disable all script triggers, so you can do maintenance on the database.
- create a real-time appointment solution
- notify a colleague (on a different computer) that a shared document is ready
- start processing scientific data on a lab computer (see our Serial plug-in for connecting to devices with a serial interface)
- keep the main application free, while the background FileMaker application, for example a runtime application, does some time consuming work on data
- get someone out of a record, so that it is no longer locked
- (on Mac OS) accept HTTP POSTs to activate a script
The possibilities are only limited by your imagination!
Try Troi Activator Plug-in before you buy
You are free and invited to test the plug-in before you pay. Troi Activator Plug-in is fully functional in demo mode, it will only stop working after 2 hours of testing. Download your copy here.
Troi Activator Plug-in 4.5.1
Troi Activator Plug-in 4.5.1 is a maintenance update which fixes a crashing problem on Mac OS with installing or disabling the plug-in. Note: if you have installed version 4.5 you need to remove the plug-in manually before upgrading to version 4.5.1 to avoid the crashing. See instructions how to manually update Troi Activator Plug-in 4.5.
In this version we also improved the type-ahead of external function names.
Upgrading to version 4.5.1 is free and recommended for all users of version 4.5.
Please see the Version history below for a complete list of changes in this and earlier versions.
Version 4.5.1 (for FileMaker 12 to 16) (December 11, 2017)
- (Mac OS) Fixed a crashing problem with installing or disabling the plug-in: FileMaker Pro no longer crashes when disabling the plug-in. Note: if you have installed version 4.5 you need to remove the plug-in manually to avoid the crashing. See instructions how to manually update Troi Activator Plug-in 4.5.
- (Mac OS) Fixed a compilation problem with code signing and extended attributes in Mac OS 10.12 (Sierra).
- Improved type-ahead of external function names.
Troi Activator Plug-in 4.5 (for FileMaker 12 to 16) (September 4, 2017)
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 16.
- Rewrote and modernized the code in several places.
- Added namespace handling and improved the internal registration of function calls to make the plug-in more robust.
- (Mac OS) Added code signing to the plug-in.
- (Mac OS) Improved export of symbols: now only the symbols that are required are exported by the plug-in.
- Made various minor changes to the example files to better work with FileMaker Pro 16.
- Updated the User Guide and the Reference.fmp12 file.
Extra features when running FileMaker Pro 16
- The Activator Plug-in adds multiple script steps when running FileMaker Pro 16.
You can select these script steps in the script steps pane in Script Workspace, or you can begin typing the script step name, then choose the script step from the list that appears.
The script steps expand the possible actions you can perform with FileMaker Pro. The following 10 script steps are added:
- Schedule Script Trigger
- Send Remote Script Trigger
- Delete Script Trigger
- Start Message Listener
- Stop Message Listener
- Start HTTP Server
- Stop HTTP Server
- Put Computer to Sleep
- Restart Computer
- Shutdown Computer
NOTE Only steps that perform an action have been added as a script step. Functions that have no side effect (like for example Actr_GetIPAddress) are only available as an external function.
- Added new scripts to the RemoteTriggers.fmp12, ScheduleTriggers.fmp12, ShutdownRestart.fmp12, Sleep.fmp12 and UploadData.fmp12 example files, to demonstrate how to use the new external script steps of FileMaker Pro 16. The examples check if FileMaker Pro 16 is running and will then select these new scripts.
- Added support for online help for the functions and script steps of the plug-in. You can now easily get online help from the Troi website, by clicking the Help button (the small question mark button) next to the function description in the functions pane or the script step description in the script steps pane.
- Fixed a possible memory leak when receiving messages send by the Actr_SendRemoteEvent function.
- (Mac OS) Fixed a bug in the Actr_SendRemoteEvent function, which in some cases could cause a crash.
- Fixed a bug in the Actr_StartListener function: when you receive a remote message the yourText text could contain an invisible ASCII null character at the end.
- (Mac OS) Fixed a bug which could cause a crash when quiting FileMaker Pro.
- Fixed a bug in the Actr_RunScript function, the plug-in now returns an error code if the script did not trigger.
When the database name does not exist error code $$-4232 (kErrNoSuchDatabase) is returned. And when the script name does not exist error code $$-4233 (kErrNoSuchScript) is returned.
Troi Activator Plug-in versions for FileMaker Pro 12, 13, 14 and 15
Version 4.0 for FileMaker 12, 13, 14 and 15 (June 14, 2016)
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 15.
- Tested and improved compatibility with Windows 10 and OS X 10.11 (El Capitan).
- You can now schedule up to 1500 events to trigger, up from 1000.
- Added description and type-ahead information for all functions of the plug-in. This extra function description will be shown in FileMaker Pro 15 in the Specify Calculation dialog box when you type a function name and also as a text popup in the functions pane on the right.
The type-ahead information is used by the auto complete functionality of FileMaker Pro 15. In the calculation pane of the Specify Calculation dialog box you can type a letter or two of the function name and instantly see a list of matching function names. For example when you type “sch”, the auto complete functionality will suggest the Actr_ScheduleEvent function. You can also type a function name in the functions pane on the right: for example if you type “HTTP” you will see all the functions with HTTP in the name, like Actr_StartHTTPServer.
- Improved the multi-threading behavior of the plug-in when running in FileMaker Pro 15.
- Improved the example file EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12, to provide more help when an installation error occurs.
- Updated the UploadData.fmp12 example file: it now correctly shows a Google Map in a webviewer.
- Fixed a possible memory leak in the HTTP Server when receiving GPS location data.
- Fixed a typo in the web page of the http server.
- Fixed several bugs, rewrote and modernized the code in several places and made further improvements.
- Updated the User Guide and the Overview.fmp12 file.
Troi Activator Plug-in versions for FileMaker Pro 12, 13 and 14
Version 3.6 for FileMaker 12, 13 and 14 (May 12th, 2015)
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 14.
- Added support for 64-bit architecture with FileMaker Pro 14: On OS X the 32-bit and 64-bit version is a single universal plug-in and on Windows there are 2 plug-ins: Troi_Activator.fmx (for 32-bit) and Troi_Activator.fmx64 (for 64-bit).
- Improved the example file EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12, to support the 64-bit version of FileMaker Pro 14.
- Fixed a bug that could make FileMaker Pro 14 crash when showing a flash dialog.
Older release notes
For older release notes please see here.
We offer the following licenses for Troi Activator Plug-in:
single user, 10-user and 25-user license: these are meant for using the plug-in client-side, on FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced, including with files hosted by FileMaker Server. You need a license for every user that makes calls to the plug-in’s functions.
developer license: this license is meant for FileMaker solution developers, who want to include the plug-in with their solution(s) and distribute it to their end-users. Each of your end-users may use the plug-in with up to 25 users (contact us if any of your customers has more than 25 users). The number of organizations you distribute the plug-in to and the number of solutions you distribute it with are not limited. Works on FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced, including with files hosted by FileMaker Server.
Go to the developer license page for more info.
server/web license: this license registers the plug-in for use on FileMaker Server and FileMaker Server Advanced. You only need this license if you want to use the plug-in in server-side scripts and in web published databases. It has no user limit.
Go to the server-side plug-ins page for more info.
All licenses work both on Mac OS and on Windows.
|single user license||US $ 89 per user|
|10-user license||US $ 299|
|25-user license||US $ 469|
|developer license||US $ 469|
|server/web license||US $ 299|
Version 4.5.1 uses the 4.5 registration code. If you have a license for a previous version, you can buy an upgrade for version 4.5. If you bought a license for version 4.0 on or after June 14, 2016, the upgrade to version 4.5 is FREE! Note: eligible users have been sent a new 4.5 registration. Contact us if you have not received yours.
If you bought a license before June 14, 2016, you will need to buy an upgrade to use the 4.5.1 version:
|single user license upgrade||US $ 39 per user|
|10-user license upgrade||US $ 199|
|25-user license upgrade||US $ 299|
|developer license upgrade||US $ 299|
|server/web license upgrade||US $ 199|
Below are a few things our users had to say about Troi Activator Plug-in:
“I needed a reliable way to get FM6 to ‘send’ data to FM7. I was considering XML and CWP calls, timed export/imports every minute, etc. But someone suggested Troi Activator and I can’t speak highly enough of the solution. It was simple, simple, simple to set up on both sides of the FileMaker divide. And it works across the network with the most incredible behind-the-scenes speed. What I ended up doing was setting up a ‘bot’ machine that runs FM7 with the plug-in, and then the four FM6 machines that need to communicate with 7 also have the plug-in installed. I guess I was expecting some kind of glitch like screen flash or momentary system freeze or something when the plug-in was activated, so I was very impressed — awed actually — that I saw my local copy of 7 (over a WAN connection to the client) updated only a second after the plug-in script was activated on 6 to the 7 bot. Up to 6000 characters of text can be sent along with the plug-in’s script trigger, so no unreliable exports/imports of data were required.
I highly, highly recommend this solution if anyone else needs to do such a thing…
Howard Schlossberg, FM Professional Solutions
“Originally we purchased the developer license of the Activator plug-in just to be able to trigger scripts on a field change. To our surprise, the script scheduling and ability to trigger scripts on a remote machine are just as valuable to us now. This is a plug-in that a FileMaker developer would be foolish to live without.”
Shawn Hogan, Lead Engineer at Digital Point Solutions
“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Very rarely do I go to any effort to write someone a thank-you note when I purchase their software. However, this time, it certainly warrants it.Your plug-in, “Activator” has saved me – literally – hundreds of hours and an immense amount of heartache in my runtime solution, which is a massive relational system for managing flight operations at one of Canada’s busiest airports.
The activator script allows me to simply forward requests through to other systems where they can be parsed and acted upon, without having to contend with establishing relationships, multi-user issues, or any of that stuff.
Thank-you Soooooo much for this plugin!”
Stephen Grant, Toronto, Canada
“Great work Peter! What will you think of next?!”
Clint Roberts, Senior Technical Editor for ISO FileMaker Magazine.
“We just heard about and started playing with the Activator Plug-in. It looks great. Once again you’ve provided the FileMaker community with a tool that empowers us to create innovative solutions to data management challenges. Our heartfelt thanks and congratulations to you and your team. Your fine work is appreciated.”
Sean Branney, DataEmporium.Net.
“You’ve the first really usable Plug-in for scheduling scripts. Congratulations to this great Plug-in. :-)) “
Longin Ziegler, ismile.
“This plug-in is fantastic. And as usual from Troi it works really well and comes with excellent examples.”
review from Paul de Halle on VersionTracker.
We are still collecting more comments. If you have any remarks on the Activator Plug-in please send us your comments. Thanks!
Click images to enlarge
Activator Plug-in online help
Function and script step reference.
Activator Plug-in FAQ
See a list of Frequently Asked Questions about this plug-in.
Image Upload Server setup instructions
Read how to configure Troi Activator as an Image Upload Server, enabling your FileMaker Pro database to receive images including (GPS) location data.
Troi Activator Plug-in compared to script triggers in FileMaker 10-16
Read a more detailed comparison between native script triggering in FileMaker 10 through 16 and Troi Activator Plug-in.
Activator Plug-in Conversion from FileMaker Pro 6
(Older) information on how to convert databases which use the Activator, from FileMaker Pro 6 to FileMaker Pro 7 and later.
Trigger FileMaker Pro scripts across the network, even over internet!