FileMaker Pro 12-16
FileMaker Server 12-16
Mac OS 10.7 – 10.13
Manipulate any information on your disk
Troi File Plug-in lets you deal efficiently with any files or folders outside the database. All from within FileMaker Pro you can:
- get data from files that are on the disk of the computer into FileMaker Pro
- create files anywhere on the hard disk and put data from FileMaker fields into them
- manipulate files and folders on the disk: this includes creating, deleting, copying, moving and modifying files and folders
- query detailed information of files and folders: the size on disk, creation and modification dates and much more
- launch and reveal files directly from FileMaker Pro
- manage your images and movies: get images and their metadata (IPTC, Exif, GPS, XML) inside your FileMaker database and write IPTC and Exif metadata too!
74 functions and 36 script steps give you ample power
Troi File Plug-in adds 74 functions to FileMaker Pro, giving you virtually limitless possibilities! Starting with FileMaker 16 plug-ins can also add script steps. In File Plug-in version 9 we have added 36 functions which perform an action as script steps. You can select these script steps in the script steps pane in Script Workspace, or you can begin typing the script step name, then choose the script step from the list that appears. The script steps significantly expand the possible actions you can perform with FileMaker Pro.
Here we give you just some examples of what you can do with this plug-in:
Manage your media
Troi File Plug-in allows you to retrieve extensive image and movie data like width, height and depth, and much more. While we were at it we also added an extensive example file ManageMedia.fmp12. This example file combines some of the Troi File Plug-in’s functions to create a powerful Media Manager for images and movies. It shows how to import one or multiple images and/or movies from a folder. It also retrieves a wealth of metadata like width and height, IPTC metadata (amongst others caption, description, keywords, copyright), GPS, XMP and Exif metadata. Exif metadata is information about the time a photo was taken, aperture, shutter speed and the like. And did we mention the example file also works with movie files?
With Troi File Plug-in you can write EXIF and IPTC metadata information to your image files. By using the “-SetImageURL” switch you can set the Photoshop Image URL metadata (not part of the official IPTC specification). The “-UTF8CharSet” switch can be used together with the “-SetIPTC” switch. This will write the IPTC data encoded as UTF-8 text and will set the CodedCharacterSet tag in the written image file (which indicates the encoding) to UTF-8.
Create and resolve alias files
The plug-in’s CreateAlias function lets you create an alias file (or shortcut) from a source file or source folder. Resolving an alias file is easy with the ResolveAlias function. It returns the path to the destination of the alias file. If the alias is broken you can use the switch “-ReturnLastKnownPath” to get the last path the alias pointed to.
Zip and unzip files and folders
The plug-in’s CreateZip function lets you create a compressed archive of files and folders. Expanding ZIP files is easy with the UnZip function. You can specify the folder where the unzipped items need to be placed. The GetZipInfo function lists the items (files and folders) inside a ZIP file. This allows you to check what’s inside a ZIP file before you unzip it, so no unwanted overwriting of existing items occurs.
Powerful listing of folders and searching
Troi File Plug-in lets you recursively list the contents of a folder with one call to the plug-in. The plug-in will return a list of all files and/or folders and all the subfolders contained in the folder you are listing. This makes processing all the items in a deeply nested folder very easy, like for example listing all the Word documents contained in a folder.
On macOS you can optionally even list the internal contents of a package folder (like for example a macOS app).
Insert text into a file
Troi File Plug-in can substitute text in and append text to an external (text) file. You can search for a text string in a file and substitute it with another text. You can substitute text and have the result saved in the same file! And you can use replace strings of up to 150,000,000 characters, making it possible to substitute tags with much longer replacements in template files. With the function TrFile_InsertContents, you can insert text into a file at a specified position.
Get file icons
The GetIcon function gets the icon of a file. It can create icons in sizes varying from 16×16 to 1024×1024 pixels and with double resolution, which is great for retina screens.
Present your image thumbnails in a grid and create transparent thumbnails
With Troi File Plug-in you can create thumbnails of your image files in any size, including square thumbnails, which is great for presenting multiple images to a user in a compact grid. We have added a grid view to the Thumbnail example file, which demonstrates (in a simplified way) how to do this. We also added the possibility to add a name when creating a thumbnail with the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function. The name is normally not visible, but will be used for example when you perform an Export Field Contents action later. Another feature is the possibility to make thumbnails in the PNG format, with an alpha channel. This means that the thumbnail will have the same transparent areas as the original image.
Get the type of an item
The function TrFile_GetTypeOfItem provides an easy way to see if a path points to a folder, file or package folder (Mac OS). It can also indicate if a file is an alias file (or shortcut on Windows).
Get and Set creation and modification dates of files and folders
The TrFile_GetDateCreated and TrFile_GetDateModified functions and their variants, like TrFile_GetTimestampModified, will get the creation and modification date of a file or a folder. Moreover, you can also set the creation and modification date of a file or folder, using the TrFile_SetTimestampCreated and TrFile_SetTimestampModified functions.
Drag your files and mails into FileMaker Pro
Troi File Plug-in allows you to drag one or more files or folders on a FileMaker window or even a drop zone. The paths of the dropped items can then be handled by a triggered script, for example to put them in a container field. You can specify up to three drag destination rectangles (even on the same window), and each drag can trigger a different script.
The drag and drop functionality includes Mail Drop (macOS only). You can drag one or more emails from the Mail.app to the FileMaker window. Add the switch “-AllowMailDrops” to the switches parameter of TrFile_DragAndDrop function to enable this extra functionality. The DragAndDrop example file reflects the Mail Drop functionality with an extensive example demonstrating the handling of single and multiple Mail Drops.
Command your shell
With the TrFile_ExecuteShell function you can execute a command in the command shell of the operating system. On macOS this will be a command executed in the UNIX Bash shell, and on Windows this is the Windows CMD shell.
Troi File Plug-in can be used in a lot of ways. Its 74 functions and 36 script steps give you a universal tool that can be used in a lot of databases. Below are a few suggestions on how Troi File Plug-in can be useful:
- list the contents of a folder and process newly added files
- check the integrity of files on disk
- update solutions, by moving (database) files into place
- read and write custom formatted files, for example from legacy systems
- catalogue complete projects, including pictures
- manage images, movies and other files
- launch files with their appropriate application directly from FileMaker Pro
The possibilities are only limited by your imagination!
Try Troi File Plug-in before you buy
You are free and invited to test the plug-in before you pay. Troi File Plug-in is fully functional in demo mode, it will only stop working after 2 hours of testing. Download your copy here.
Troi File Plug-in 9.1
Version 9.1 adds new functionality for movie metadata: you can now get all metadata embedded in (QuickTime) movies and all variants of MP4 movies. This includes for example artist, creation date and description info. The plug-in can now also return the GPS location data and XMP metadata of movies.
Other new functionality in this version is a ResolveAlias function, which returns the path to the destination of an alias file (on macOS) or shortcut (on Windows). If the alias is broken you can use the switch “-ReturnLastKnownPath” to get the last path the alias pointed to.
Please see the Version history below for a complete list of changes in this and earlier versions.
Upgrading to version 9.1 is free and recommended for all users of version 9.0.x.
Version 9.1 (for FileMaker 12 to 16) (February 20, 2018)
- Added new TrFile_ResolveAlias function, which will resolve an alias file (on macOS) or shortcut (on Windows). It returns the path to the destination of the alias file. If the alias is broken you can use the switch “-ReturnLastKnownPath” to get the last path the alias pointed to.
- Added extra switch “-AddAliasInfo” to the TrFile_GetTypeOfItem function. If an item is an alias file (or shortcut on Windows) the result will be “file (alias)”.
- You can now add the “-DontResolveAlias” switch to the TrFile_SelectFileDialog function. When you select an alias/shortcut the result is the path to the alias itself (and not the destination path where the alias points to).
- (Windows) Added code signing to the plug-in for Windows (On macOS code signing was already added in version 8.0).
New functionality for movie metadata
- Added new functionality to the TrFile_GetMetaData function: when using the switch “-GetMovieMetadata” the plug-in now returns all metadata embedded in QuickTime movies (with extension .mov) and all variants of MP4 movies. This returns a list of metadata in the movie, returning for example Artist, Creation date and Description.
- Added new functionality to the TrFile_GetMetaData function: when using the switch “-GetMovieGPS” the plug-in now returns the GPS location data of the movie. With an extra -Format switch you can specify how the location is returned:
Format switch Description Example -Format=Decimal Decimal coordinates (default) +52.0907 +5.1213 +112.000 -Format=DegMinSecs Latitude, longitude (in degrees,
minutes and seconds) and height (in meters)
52° 05′ 26.5″ N, 5° 07′ 16.7″ E, 112m -Format=ISO6709 Formatted according to ISO 6709 52.0907+5.1213+112.000/
- Added new switch “-GetMovieCreationDate” to the TrFile_GetMetaData function: when using this switch the plug-in returns the creation date (including time + timezone) of the movie (if present as metadata). This might return for example: “2018-01-31T16:29:07+0200”
- Added new functionality to the TrFile_GetMetaData function: when using the switch “-GetXMP” the plug-in now can read embedded XMP metadata in movies. The plug-in supports reading XMP metadata for QuickTime movies (with extension .mov) and all variants of MP4 movies.
- Improved the example file ManageMedia.fmp12, it now demonstrates how to retrieve metadata from movies (including XMP).
- Improved the TrFile_GetMetadata function. Added new switch “-SourceUTF8CharSet”, to be used with the switch “-GetIPTC”. The IPTC metadata of the source image file will forced to be read as UTF-8 encoded.
- Updated the FileManipulation.fmp12 example file to show the TrFile_ResolveAlias function.
- (Mac OS) Fixed a possible bug in the TrFile_Substitute function, when substituting in place: there are no longer spurious extra characters at the end of the new file when the replace string is shorter than the search string.
- In the TrFile_Substitute function, when the search string is at the end of the source file the destination now has the correct end character.
- (Mac OS) Fixed a bug in the TrFile_Substitute function on macOS 10.13 (High Sierra): when you substitute in place this no longer gives an $$-50 error code as result.
- (Mac OS) Improved the reliability of the TrFile_SetMetadata and TrFile_InsertContents functions on macOS 10.13 (High Sierra).
- (Mac OS) Fixed a possible memory leak in the TrFile_GetFolderSize function.
- (Mac OS) Fixed a compilation problem with code signing and extended attributes in macOS 10.12 (Sierra).
Version 9.0.1 (for FileMaker 12 to 16) (June 19, 2017)
- (Windows) Fixed a bug with the TrFile_DragAndDrop function which prevented drag and drop when running FileMaker Pro 16.
- Improved the DragAndDrop.fmp12 example file: the calculation for the bounds of the three drag zones are improved when running FileMaker Pro 16.
Version 9.0 (for FileMaker 12 to 16) (May 9, 2017)
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 16.
- Added new TrFile_GetFolderSize function, which can get the total size (in bytes) of a folder.
- Added new TrFile_AppendContentsToFile function, which can append text to the end of a specified (text) file.
- Added new TrFile_SetContentsOfFile function, which can set the contents of a specified (text) file.
- (Mac OS) Added new TrFile_SetFinderComment function, which can set the text of a Finder comment (also called Spotlight comment) of a specified file or folder. You can see the comment with the Get Info command in the Finder.
- Renamed the TrFile_MetaData function to TrFile_GetMetaData, as to better reflect its functionality.
- Added possibility to use a container as the source parameter for the TrFile_GetMetadata function.
- Improved the TrFile_DragAndDrop function: you can now specify three different drop zones with the TrFile_DragAndDrop function.
Extra features when running FileMaker Pro 16
- The File Plug-in adds multiple script steps when running FileMaker Pro 16.
You can select these script steps in the script steps pane in Script Workspace, or you can begin typing the script step name, then choose the script step from the list that appears.
The script steps significantly expand the possible actions you can perform with FileMaker Pro. The following 36 script steps are added:
- Append to File
- Get File Contents with Dialog
- Enable/Disable Troi File Plug-in
- Copy File
- Copy Folder
- Create Alias
- Create File
- Create Folder
- Create Thumbnail
- Create Zip
- Delete File
- Delete Folder
- Add DragAndDrop Handler
- Execute Shell
- Insert in File
- Launch File
- Launch Application
- Mount Disk
- Move File
- Move Folder
- Open Folder
- Reveal File
- Reveal Folder
- Show Save File Dialog
- Show Select File Dialog
- Show Select Folder Dialog
- Set Contents of File
- Set File Attribute
- Set Finder Comment
- Set MetaData of Image File
- Set Timestamp Created
- Set Timestamp Modified
- Stop DragAndDrop Handlers
- Substitute In File
- Unmount Disk
NOTE Only steps that perform an action have been added as a script step. Functions that just return information (like for example TrFile_GetFileSize) are only available as an external function.
- Added new example file CreateFile-for-FMP16.fmp12, which demonstrates how to use the new external script steps of FileMaker Pro 16.
- Added support for online help for the functions and script steps of the plug-in. You can now easily get online help from the Troi website, by clicking the Help button (the small question mark button) next to the function description in the functions pane or the script step description in the script steps pane.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a problem with the TrFile_DragAndDrop function when dragging mail: email messages with a semicolon (“;”) in the subject of the email are now handled properly.
- Several bug fixes and further improvements.
- Updated the Attribute.fmp12 example file.
- Made various minor changes to the example files to better work with FileMaker Pro 16.
- Updated the code by adding improved namespace handling to make the plug-in more robust.
Version 8.6.1 (for FileMaker 12 to 15) (January 20, 2017)
- (Windows) Improved the handling of certain ZIP files with the TrFile_UnZIP function: the plug-in will now implicitly create a folder when items in the ZIP file are in a subfolder, but that subfolder itself is not present.
- Improved TrFile_MetaData( “-GetPDFDescription”): the plug-in can now better parse newer PDF versions, like PDF 1.7. And if there is a parsing error the plug-in returns the partial data.
- (Mac OS X) Improved TrFile_MetaData( “-GetMovieDescription”): when a movie contains a Timecode track, the Timecode at the beginning and end of the movie and the Timecode of the current frame is returned again as part of the description.
- Improved the multi-threading behavior of the TrFile_Metadata function. Multiple running scripts on FileMaker Server at the same time will now work better.
- Improved the multi-threading behavior of the TrFile_Substitute function. Multiple running scripts on FileMaker Server at the same time will now work better.
- Fixed a memory leak in the TrFile_Substitute function.
- Fixed a bug in the TrFile_SetContents and TrFile_AppendContents functions where extra spurious characters could be written. This could happen when a text which contained combining unicode characters (for example a combining diaeresis, combining to ä) was written to a file using encoding: -Encoding=ASCII_Windows.
- (Mac OS X) Improved stopping of the drag and drop handling and removed a potential memory leak.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a potential crash in the TrFile_DragAndDrop function, when restarting drag and drop multiple times.
- (Windows) Added an exception handler, which handles (fatal) exceptions in the plug-in. It will save information on the exception to a dump file in the Temp directory. The dump file will be named similar to this:
“Crashdump Troi File Plug-In v8.6.1-20161231-212603-5488-3164.dmp”.
When running FileMaker Server the plug-in also writes the exception in the “Troi Plugin FMServer.log”:
- 2017-01-01 21:26:03 [Troi File Plug-In] Exception raised. code = -1073741819
- 2017-01-01 21:26:03 [Troi File Plug-In] Created crash dumpfile:
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\Crashdump Troi File Plug-In v8.6.1-20170101-212603.dmp
- 2017-01-01 21:26:03 [Troi File Plug-In] **** FATAL ERROR: EXIT PROCESS ****
- (Mac OS X) Improved export of symbols: now only the symbols that are required are exported by the plug-in.
- Improved the internal registration of function calls of the plug-ins, making it more robust on more platforms.
Version 8.6 (for FileMaker 12 to 15) (September 28, 2016)
- Tested and improved compatibility with macOS Sierra (Mac OS X 10.12).
- Added new TrFile_GetIcon function, which gets the icon of a file. It can create icons in sizes varying from 16×16 to 1024×1024 pixels and with double resolution for retina screens.
- Added new switch “-CreatePNG” to the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function: this will give as result a thumbnail in the PNG format, with an alpha channel. This means that the thumbnail will have the same transparent areas as the original image.
- Improved support for PDF/X files: you can now see whether a file confirms to the PDF/X standard. Use this function call: TrFile_MetaData( “-GetPDFDescription” ; filePath ). This will return the version of the standard, for example: GTS_PDFXVersion: PDFX-1:2001.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a problem in the TrFile_MetaData function with the switches “-GetImageDescription”: this function now returns a resolution of 72 (instead of 0) for the horizontal and vertical resolution for JPEG images that don’t have an explicit resolution set.
- (Windows) Fixed a problem with the TrFile_CreateThumbnail function: transparant areas in PNG images are now rendered to white (as they are on Mac OS X).
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a problem with the TrFile_DragAndDrop function when dragging mail: email messages with a pound sign (“#”) in the subject of the email are now handled properly.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a bug in the TrFile_CreateZIP function: file paths with accents in the name now no longer return error code $$15.
- (Mac OS X) fixed a bug in the TrFile_MountDisk function: paths to secure WebDAV servers (with protocol https) are now properly handled.
- Made small improvements to the DiskMount.fmp12 example file.
- Updated the Overview.fmp12 file regarding obsolete FSSpecs.
Older release notes
For older release notes please see here.
We offer the following licenses for Troi File Plug-in:
single user, 10-user and 25-user license: these are meant for using the plug-in client-side, on FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced, including with files hosted by FileMaker Server. You need a license for every user that makes calls to the plug-in’s functions.
developer license: this license is meant for FileMaker solution developers, who want to include the plug-in with their solution(s) and distribute it to their end-users. Each of your end-users may use the plug-in with up to 25 users (contact us if any of your customers has more than 25 users). The number of organizations you distribute the plug-in to and the number of solutions you distribute it with are not limited. Works on FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced, including with files hosted by FileMaker Server.
Go to the developer license page for more info.
server/web license: this license registers the plug-in for use on FileMaker Server and FileMaker Server Advanced. You only need this license if you want to use the plug-in in server-side scripts and in web published databases. It has no user limit.
Go to the server-side plug-ins page for more info.
All licenses work both on macOS and on Windows.
|single user license||US $ 99 per user|
|10-user license||US $ 449|
|25-user license||US $ 749|
|developer license||US $ 749|
|server/web license||US $ 449|
Version 9.1 uses the 9.0 registration code. If you have a license for a previous version, you can buy an upgrade for version 9.0. If you bought a license on or after May 10, 2016, the upgrade to version 9.0 is FREE! Note: eligible users have been sent a new 9.0 registration. Contact us if you have not received yours.
If you bought a license before May 10, 2016, you will need to buy an upgrade to use the 9.1 version:
|single user license upgrade||US $ 59 per user|
|10-user license upgrade||US $ 249|
|25-user license upgrade||US $ 369|
|developer license upgrade||US $ 369|
|server/web license upgrade||US $ 249|
Below are a few things our users had to say about Troi File Plug-in:
“I bought Troi File Plug-in a week ago. Thus far, the plugin has worked absolutely flawlessly! I was using a free plug-in for (if exist) file checks and it occasionally returned incorrect results. Troi has been 100% since the first script run. Seriously, seriously good, clean software! Worth EVERY penny! I have yet to see any malloc/free issues and I’ve not needed a single reboot (whereas the free plug-in required more hands-on admin). The Troi plugin is simply miles and away superior.”
John Czlonka – CTO & Lead Software Architect, Marcon Pipelines, Inc., Calgary, Canada
“I have been using the file plugin for a long time (10 + years) and it has been great. Very easy to use and powerful. Awesome work :)”
Steven Durow, Director of Data Analysis Department, Fargo Public Schools, Fargo ND, USA
“Your customer service is first-class, there are many companies that could learn a lot from you about how to help and advise their clients. I really appreciate it.”
David Fox, WhatHat Ltd.
“I like to thank you for an excellent plugin that has made many of my solutions two steps better than I ever could do in pure FileMaker.”
Johan Hedman, certified FileMaker developer at PositionEtt AB, Sweden
“I really have to say, that Troi File Plug-in is a fantastic extension for Filemaker. Troi opens a wide range of possibilities to improve our database and helps us a lot, to make the photo-handling easier.”
Daniel Stöckli, Switzerland
“We have used a single version of the original Troi File classic plug-in for a several years, converting last week to a 10 user of the v4 version for Filemaker 8+.
I was amazed how quick and easy it was to convert our code, as we use the Troi File functionality in about 40 instances across about 15 scripts.
You can see the result at www.recruiting.co.nz
Thank you for developing and supporting Troi File so professionally, in the future I’m sure we will use more of your products.”
Paul Royse, www.recruiting.co.nz
“I think this is a fantastic product, it does what it says and I am overwhelmed by the functionality that is offered.”
Peter Cross, read his complete review of Troi File Plug-in on the FMPug website
“I just want to let you know how highly I think of your product, Troi File. I’ve been developing a commercial solution that makes extensive use of the plug-in. It’s easy to use and most importantly, it’s rock solid. I’ve emailed you support questions from time to time and they are always answered with the information to solve the problem.
I cannot praise your product enough.”
Randy Lawrence, Absolute Advantage, Inc.
“Two weeks ago I had a very intensive project; full automation of a data conversion routine involving import and export of thousands of files. The Troi File Plug-In (and your very helpful and timely advice) made it all happen and get delivered on time.
In the past years of doing FileMaker development the most visionary and extensive projects I have been involved in have used Troi Plug-Ins as an essential component. Troi Plug-Ins give the ability to automagically harness system level processes; the simplest way of describing it is a “Wow” factor on the client’s side and a fundamentally elegant, straightforward, and fast scripting process from the developer’s perspective. They put a powerhouse of programming behind FileMaker’s ease of use.
Although I have used them for a wide range of functions I still feel I’ve only scratched the surface of Troi Plug-Ins possible applications. Much thanks for providing an essential tool to FileMaker developers.”
Beatrice Beaubien, i2eye, Toronto, Canada
“Thought you might be interested to hear about something we’ve done using Troi File and Troi Coding.” Read how Noam Sturmwind of Oak Bay Softrends, Inc. manages to update the local files on his client’s workstations by automatically downloading a new copy of the files when the workstation connects to the server. “Not only does this save us a lot of time in re-installing on each workstation, it also means that we don’t have to worry about local files becoming corrupted.”
Noam Sturmwind, Oak Bay Softrends, Inc., Vancouver, BC, Canada Read the whole story
Troi File to the rescue!
Read how Troi File Plug-in helped Heather McCue of OshVay Associates to migrate thousands of databases for a client and improve another client’s PDF reporting solution:
“Thank you Troi, we could not have managed without you!”
Heather McCue, OshVay Associates, Raleigh, NC Read the whole story
“Troi File Plug-in is a truly great product. I just wish I had looked into it properly when it first came out. If I had known just how powerful this tool was I’d have bought it for all my clients years ago.
Many thanks for a great product”
Peter Makin, Makin Rochard Ltd., United Kingdom
“Don’t leave home without Troi File Plug-in.”
Doug Rowe, Robyte Consulting
“Thank you for your new plug-in!
I bought it in about 10 seconds after I saw it can do exactly what I have been trying to do with Applescript unsuccessfully.
Using Filemaker to organize my cruise reviews, I was looking for a convenient way to export the html to a file.
I had been using the legacy Keyquencer to copy and paste information into a text-editor, and then save the file. To update my html files, this would take about 2 hours!
Your timing could not have been better. Now I can do the same task in about 2 seconds. Well worth the price of the plug-in!
Thanks for all your great work”.
Greg “Pepe” Giese, www.cruisingreview.com
“This plugin has become somewhat integral to many of the solutions I’ve worked on here. It’s a lifesaver!”
Tony Pottrell, Human Engineering
“At the recent suggestion of Dana Perry, I took a look at the Troi File Plug-in in the context of testing for the existence of the Adobe Acrobat Reader program (before launching PDF files from FileMaker). My study of the plug-in confirmed for me the great power of this tool for a variety of other tasks, including the automation of upgrades. I developed a routine with FileMaker and the Troi File Plug-in that I thought might interest other users.” Read more about it here.
Vince Lackner, The Lackner Group, Inc.
“As you might be aware, Brushfire for the Mac originally was written using AppleScript as the glue to pull the components together. When we ported Brushfire to the PC, we decided to use the Troi File plug-in. With Brushfire 1.5 we are using the Troi File plug-in on both Mac and PC versions. Not only was development with the plug-in smoother and easier than the AppleScript development, but the resulting code is more solid and robust. Since the switch to the Troi File plug-in our customer support telephone calls have dropped over 20%. I only wish we had started the project this way! Thank you for providing such an excellent tool.”
Russell Kohn, Chaparral Software & Consulting Services, Inc.
“I can’t thank you enough for this plug in. It is incredible what I have been able to do with FileMaker now that I have found your plug in. It’s simple to understand and I don’t think I could use FileMaker without it. I use it to create thousands of web pages from my FileMaker database very easily.”
Ben Levitan, USA
“Hello, Troi folks!
First, thanks for a great plugin in TroiFile! I’ve been using it to help power a great web site, www.topekamls.com (not available from 4:00 to 4:30 AM CST (GMT-7)). There we are using TroiFile, in concert with some calc fields in FMP, to detect whether a given house listing in our “available properties” FMP database actually has a picture on the hard drive or not, by using the TroiFile GetSize command – if it has a size, it’s got a picture! Saved our bacon for sure, as the database we’re importing the housing data from doesn’t have any kind of field that would otherwise let me know if any given record has an associated picture or not. Many thanks!
We’re also using TroiFile to write lasso-enabled template-based web sites for us. It writes from an FMP database which stores the raw HTML, and then substitues in customer-specific data right before TroiFile writes that html to a file out on the web server. We’ve got it writing about 500, 3-page websites every week for us, at a rate of about 1 complete site in 0.13 seconds on a rather modest AMD K6-2 450. Talk about profitability (and more time for our web designers to do other things)!”
John Krische, Krische Database Systems, Topeka, KS, USA
“From the US side of the pond, I offer my sincere thanks for the work you put into the File Plug-In. I didn’t realize the limitations that are inherent to FMP5 (Win) until I built my solution and found I couldn’t include badly needed features. After being directed to your web site by a fellow developer I downloaded and tested the evaluation copy. Shortly thereafter I purchased the Developer License.
What a Blessing the plug-in has been. It is everything that is advertised and then some. Thanks for an excellent piece of software. If my FMP solution is half as helpful and successful as your File Plug-in, I will be elated.”
Gary Hopps, Carthage, NY, USA
“I am having much success with your “Troi File” Plug-In- Thank You for making such a GREAT Product! Keep up the good work- Your products are an asset to the Filemaker community!”
James L. (Jay) Knight, Jr., Lead Developer Infotraxx Systems, Inc.
“The Troi File Plug-in is a very powerful addition to a FileMaker user’s armoury.”
Richard Dyce, MacUser UK
“This plug-in rocks! Keep up the great work”
Enrique Pardo, edesign graphic studio, Geneva, Switzerland
“I tried Troi’s file plug in and the demo file sucked in a folder full of JPEGs from my Mavica 91. All the plug in needs is a little sound file that makes the sound heard when emptying the contents of a container via a straw….slurrrrrpppp…”
Jack Rodgers, FileMaker developer
“I grabbed this plug-in, took it for a spin and it is totally the tool that I’ve needed for many a moon. AND it has many many other features that have my wheels turning – Thank you for this piece of Magick!”
Fritz Jung, The Witches’ Voice www.witchvox.com
“Thanks for the brilliant software. The Troi File and Text plug-ins keep making my work much easier.”
Eric Smith McGill University Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“FANTASTIC! and Congratulations! I love the File Plug-in and can’t wait to try out these new and exciting features! Great work! Especially the new folder functions: DeleteFolder, SelectFolder!”
Eric S. Pecoraro, Proxiva Corporation
“I started developing with the demo, and it is a joy to be able to do the things you can do with the File plug-in.”
Johan Edenvik, Database and Web Developer of Administrator Finansservice AB, Sweden
“I’am very happy with your plugins they’re better than FileMaker itself !!”
dipl. Ing. HTL Longin Ziegler, www.ismile.ch
We are still collecting more comments. If you have any remarks on the File Plug-in please send us your comments. Thanks!
Click images to enlarge
File Plug-in online help
Function and script step reference.
File Plug-in FAQ
See a list of Frequently Asked Questions about this plug-in.
Some ideas how Troi File Plug-in can help you manage images, movies and other files.
Get icons into FileMaker Pro
How to easily add the icons of files on your disk to your FileMaker app.
Selecting files in FileMaker
How to let a user select a file on disk, for example to get the contents into FileMaker.
Files and folders and FileMaker
Easily see which files or folders are in a folder.
File Plug-in conversion from FileMaker Pro 6
(Older) information on how to convert databases which use Troi File from FileMaker Pro 6 to FileMaker Pro 7 and later.
Manipulate any information on your disk directly from within FileMaker Pro!