FileMaker Pro 12-16
macOS X 10.7 – 10.13
Real dialogs that you completely control
Troi Dialog Plug-in adds powerful dialog functions to FileMaker Pro:
Show dialogs with variable text and up to 4 buttons
With the Dialog plug-in you can calculate the text and the buttons of your dialog box in a script. You can add data from fields or variables and also change the labels of the buttons.
Show temporary flash dialogs
With Troi Dialog plug-in you can show a flash dialog that will stay visible only for a fixed amount of time, for example 4 seconds. Great to give extra instructions to a user, without the user having to dismiss the dialog.
Let a user input text through a dialog
Show a dialog with up to fifteen input fields, where the user can type text or a password (no need for a special bullet font to be installed!), choose an item from a pop-up list or mark a checkbox. All input fields can be filled with pre-entered values and you can specify in which field the input dialog will start.
Show a password dialog
Lets users safely enter a username and password.
Show a progress dialog
For lengthy operations you can show a progress bar.
Show a list dialog
With Troi Dialog plug-in you can display a list dialog box, from which the user can choose an item. Note that the OK button is disabled until the user chooses an item. The list dialog box is completely customizable, including setting icons. You can even show your own icon!
Show a big input dialog
With Troi Dialog plug-in you can display a big input dialog box, in which the user can type (or edit) long pieces of text. You can specify how many characters the user needs to type before buttons are activated and also the maximum number of characters allowed. You can also prefill the text, set the size of the window, choose the title for the dialog and give it a standard icon or your own icon.
Have the results of the dialog put into fields without parsing
We’ve added functions to make it easier to put the data entered and the number of the button clicked by a user into separate fields: ready for further use!
Position the dialog box anywhere on the screen
You can state precisely where you want the dialog box to appear on the screen. The plug-in will make sure the dialog remains visible even if your coordinates are outside the screen’s reach.
Set the text for the dialog title bar
Giving your solution that extra quality!
Add standard and custom icons to the dialog box
You can add a standard icon or your own icons, in standard size or extra large. Custom icons from a PNG image, including transparency, are supported.
Give database users the precise feedback they need
You can use any calculation to specify the text and the labels of the dialogs. This enables you to give database users more detailed information, including text from fields or variables.
Show values from a second value list in popups
Popups in the input dialog can display values from a second value list. The selected value from the first value list is returned. You can use this for example with a list of ItemIDs and a list of ItemDescriptions. The descriptions are shown to the user, while the ID is returned.
Select multiple items from a list
Using the switch -AllowMultipleSelection in the ListDialog function will allow the user to select multiple items from the list. Command-a (macOS) or control-a (Windows) can be used to select all items. The selected items are returned separated by the pipe character. You can also preselect multiple items.
Use keyboard shortcuts in edit fields
We added support for using several keyboard shortcuts in the edit fields of the InputDialog and BigInputDialog functions. On macOS you can use undo (command-z), redo (command-shift-z), copy (command-c), paste (command-v), cut (command-x) and select all (command-a). On Windows you can use undo (control-z), copy (control-c), paste (control-v) and cut (control-x).
Try Troi Dialog Plug-in before you buy
You are free and invited to test the plug-in before you pay. Troi Dialog Plug-in is fully functional in demo mode, it will only stop working after 5 hours of testing. Download your copy here.
Troi Dialog Plug-in 7.0
Troi Dialog Plug-in 7.0 is a major release which adds compatibility with FileMaker 16. This version adds 3 script steps when running in FileMaker Pro 16, which let you show 2 types of dialogs and a slideshow of images and movies. You can select these in the script steps pane in Script Workspace, or you can begin typing the script step name, then choose the script step from the list that appears. We also added support for online help for all functions and script steps of the plug-in. Just click the small question mark button next to the function description in the functions pane or the script step description in the script steps pane. This will take you to the online help for this function or script step on our web site.
See the Version history below for a complete list of changes in this and earlier versions.
Troi Dialog Plug-in versions for FileMaker Pro 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16
Version 7.0 (for FileMaker 12 to 16) (October 23, 2017)
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 16.
- Tested and improved compatibility with Windows 10 (Creators Update) and macOS 10.13 (High Sierra).
- Rewrote the code in several places.
- Made various minor changes to the example files to better work with FileMaker Pro 16.
- Updated the User Guide and the Reference.fmp12 file.
- The plug-in now has a demo test time of 5 hours. You can continue to test the plug-in after a restart of FileMaker Pro.
Extra features when running FileMaker Pro 16
- The Dialog Plug-in adds script steps when running FileMaker Pro 16.
You can select these script steps in the script steps pane in Script Workspace, or you can begin typing the script step name, then choose the script step from the list that appears.
The script steps expand the possible actions you can perform with FileMaker Pro. The following external script steps are added:
NOTE Only steps that perform an action have been added as a script step. Functions that have no side effect (like for example Dial_GetButtons) are only available as an external function.
- Added new scripts to the BigInputDialog.fmp12, Flash.fmp12 and PresentImage.fmp12 example files, to demonstrate how to use the new external script steps of FileMaker Pro 16. The examples check if FileMaker Pro 16 is running and will then select these new scripts.
- Added support for online help for the functions and script steps of the plug-in. You can now easily get online help from the Troi website, by clicking the Help button (the small question mark button) next to the function description in the functions pane or the script step description in the script steps pane.
- (Mac OS) Updated Dial_PresentImage function for 64-bit: this function can now show a fullscreen slide show of images and movies.
- Fixed a problem in the Dial_ListDialog function: when you specified that a selection is required, you can no longer exit the dialog by double clicking on an empty line.
- (Mac OS) Fixed a compilation problem with code signing and extended attributes in Mac OS 10.12 (Sierra).
Troi Dialog Plug-in versions for FileMaker Pro 12, 13, 14 and 15
Version 6.5.1 (for FileMaker 12 to 15) (February 15, 2017)
- Added switch to the Dial_ListDialog function: “-ExtraLineHeight=x”, where you can specify extra height (in pixels) for each list item.
- (Windows) Improved the Dial_ListDialog function: list items should have more vertical height when using hi-resolution displays.
- Updated the code in several places and added improved namespace handling to make the plug-in more robust.
- (Mac OS X) Improved export of symbols of the compiled plug-in: now only the symbols that are required are exported.
- (Mac OS X, 32-bit only) Fixed a possible interference with other plug-ins, during the registration phase.
- Fixed a bug in the code for registering the plug-in.
Version 6.5 (for FileMaker 12 to 15) (May 17, 2016)
- Tested and improved compatibility with Windows 10 and OS X 10.11 (El Capitan).
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 15.
- Improved the multi-threading behavior of the plug-in when running in FileMaker Pro 15.
- Improved the example file EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12, to provide more help when an installation error occurs.
- Added description and type-ahead information for all functions of the plug-in. This extra function description will be shown in FileMaker Pro 15 in the Specify Calculation dialog box when you type a function name and also as a text popup in the functions pane on the right.
The type-ahead information is used by the auto complete functionality of FileMaker Pro 15. In the calculation pane of the Specify Calculation dialog box you can type a letter or two of the function name and instantly see a list of matching function names. For example when you type “li”, the auto complete functionality will suggest the Dial_ListDialog function. You can also type a function name in the functions pane on the right: for example if you type “dial” you will see all the functions relevant to dialogs, like Dial_BigInputDialog.
- Fixed several bugs, rewrote and modernized the code in several places and made further improvements.
- Updated the User Guide and the Overview.fmp12 file.
Troi Dialog Plug-in versions for FileMaker Pro 12, 13 and 14
Version 6.1.1 (for FileMaker 12, 13 and 14) (June 23rd, 2015)
- (Windows) Fixed a problem with the Dial_FlashDialog function, the dialog would stay considerably longer on screen than specified with the ticks parameter.
- Updated the user guide.
Version 6.1 (for FileMaker 12, 13 and 14) (May 12th, 2015)
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 14.
- Added support for 64-bit architecture with FileMaker Pro 14: On OS X the 32-bit and 64-bit version is a single universal plug-in and on Windows there are 2 plug-ins: Troi_Dialog.fmx (for 32-bit) and Troi_Dialog.fmx64 (for 64-bit).
- Improved the example file EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12, to support the 64-bit version of FileMaker Pro 14.
- Improved the Dial_Dialog function: the result can now also be the text of the button: add the switch -ReturnButtonText for this.
Older release notes
For older release notes please see here.
We offer the following licenses for Troi Dialog Plug-in:
single user, 10-user and 25-user license: these are meant for using the plug-in client-side, on FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced, including with files hosted by FileMaker Server. You need a license for every user that makes calls to the plug-in’s functions.
developer license: this license is meant for FileMaker solution developers, who want to include the plug-in with their solution(s) and distribute it to their end-users. Each of your end-users may use the plug-in with up to 25 users (contact us if any of your customers has more than 25 users). The number of organizations you distribute the plug-in to and the number of solutions you distribute it with are not limited. Works on FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced, including with files hosted by FileMaker Server.
Go to the developer license page for more info.
All licenses work both on macOS and on Windows.
|single user license||US $ 59 per user|
|10-user license||US $ 279|
|25-user license||US $ 449|
|developer license||US $ 449|
If you have a license for a previous version, you can buy an upgrade for version 7.0. If you bought a license for version 6.5.x on or after October 1, 2016, the upgrade to version 7.0 is FREE! Note: eligible users will be sent a new 7.0 registration. Contact us if you have not received yours after October 25.
If you bought a license before October 1, 2016, you will need to buy an upgrade to use the 7.0 version:
|single user license upgrade||US $ 35 per user|
|10-user license upgrade||US $ 139|
|25-user license upgrade||US $ 199|
|developer license upgrade||US $ 199|
Below are a few things our users had to say about Troi Dialog Plug-in:
Timebox Solutions Ltd. use Troi Dialog Plug-in with their TBX Postcode Plug-in. They include it with their product “as it makes a very good demonstration of one way to implement postcoding functionality using AFD Postcode Plus. We are happy to recommend Troi Automatisering’s plugins and have used many Troi plugins for many years.”
“And may I say that I LOVE Troi Dialog, it just keeps getting better and better. My solution for music and art schools, StudioSchool Pro, relies heavily on it for a variety of custom dialogs handling everything from payments and refunds and to sort selections for label output.”
Will Loving, Human Data Design
“The dialog plug-in is without question the most important FileMaker plug-in in our arsenal (I would argue the most important FileMaker plug-in period). Easily worth ten times the price.”
Shawn Hogan, Lead Engineer at Digital Point Solutions
“Thanks very much for sending this version of the plug-in and answering my query so quickly. I’ve given the plug-in some testing and as far as I can tell it has fixed my problem. I’m extremely pleased with your level of customer service. Keep up the great work.”
Dan Burgess, Information Systems Administrator, South of England Open College Network, University of Brighton
“Troi Dialog was the first and it’s still the best. Now we’ve got a bunch of me-too software coming out four or five years after Troi led the way. They’re going to have an awfully tough time matching Troi’s record for stable code, stellar support, and indispensable features. I literally will refuse to work on any major FileMaker project without Troi Dialog. I trust it completely to be a key part of my solutions, and going without it is simply an incredible waste of time.”
Jay S. Levin, Turtle Solutions
“Your products are simply put… “GREAT”.”
Ernest A. Abrams, MacBusiness Consulting
“If you’re looking to produce a professional-looking solution using FileMaker, then this dialog box plug-in is a must-have.”
Richard Dyce, MacUser UK
“The Troi Dialog plug-in has lots of features making it worth every cent of the US$29.”
Kent Lendrum, HOD Computer Studies, Mount Maunganui College, New Zealand
“Buying the Developer’s License for the Dialog plug-in was the best FMP-related investment I’ve ever made!”
Kieren Richard MacMillan, head database developer of kierencom, Toronto, Canada
“Thanks, you make great products!”
Peter Payne, J-LIST, the Japanese anime web site, www.jlist.com
“I have been using your Troi Text, Dialog and ClipSave plug-ins with great success. Thank you very much.”
Doug Rider, FileMaker Pro database developer of InterRiderWork
“I have been testing your “Dialog” plug-in V2 …… It´s great!!!!”
Michael Junior Nielsen, database developer of FSA Partner member Junior, www.junior.dk
“This new version of the Dialog Plug-in is great. Thanks and I love it!”
Matt Klein, Small Business Computers of New England
We are still collecting more comments. If you have any remarks on the Dialog Plug-in please send us your comments. Thanks!
Click images to enlarge
Dialog Plug-in online help
Function and script step reference.
Dialog Plug-in FAQ
See a list of Frequently Asked Questions about this plug-in.
Second Value List in a dialog pop-up
How to display an input dialog with a popup, which displays the values of a second value list, while returning the chosen value from the first list.
Dialog Plug-in Conversion from FileMaker Pro 6
(Older) information on how to convert databases which use Troi Dialog, from FileMaker Pro 6 to FileMaker Pro 7 and later.
Give your database that extra quality by giving users the best feedback!