FileMaker Pro 12-15
FileMaker Server 12-15
FileMaker Cloud 15
macOS X 10.6.x – 10.12
Great features for handling text in your FileMaker database
With the plug-in installed you can do all this from within FileMaker:
- parse XML text
- combine sets from 2 text fields:
- get all lines that are the same
- get all lines that differ
- and other combinations
- get (unique) lines and sort words and lines
- perform customized spell checking*
Completely customizable spell checking*
Troi Text Plug-in’s spell checker can be configured completely from the database with calculations. You can specify a custom spelling (language) per database or even per text field, all driven from a script or a calculation. You can also specify to ignore words you or your company might use.
* currently not available on FileMaker Cloud
Parsing of XML data
With Troi Text Plug-in you can get XML nodes out of XML formatted text and parse the info into separate fields in your database. You can get the contents of the nodes and child nodes and the attribute data of the nodes.
The ANDText, XORText and NOTText functions let you find all lines that are the same in two text fields, are lines that are different in two text fields and all lines that are in one but not in the other text field.
Lines and Word functions
Troi Text Plug-in’s Lines and Word functions let you return:
- all unique lines of a text field
- all unique words of a text field
- all lines in a text field sorted alphabetically
- the n-th line of a text field. No difficult calculations to get it, just ask for it!
- Create an index for a book, which is updated automatically
- Find all addresses you want to send an email to, without sending duplicates
- Keep track of your client relations by generating a dynamic history of activities
- Receive client information in XML format and parse it easily into your database
The possibilities are only limited by your imagination!
Try Troi Text Plug-in before you buy
You are free and invited to test the plug-in before you pay. Troi Text Plug-in is fully functional in demo mode, it will only stop working after 2 hours of testing. Download your copy here.
Troi Text Plug-in 4.1
In version 4.1 we added a new platform: you can now use Troi Text Plug-in with FileMaker Cloud. Note that you need a Server/Web license to register this plug-in on FileMaker Cloud.
In order to test the plug-in before you order a license, you can run the plug-in in demo mode. We have added a new example file to the download (TextOnFMCloud.fmp12), which demonstrates how to perform the functions of the plug-in on FileMaker Cloud. When running the plug-in in demo mode, it will stop working after two hours. We added a new switch -ResetDemoTestTime to the TrText_Version function, which allows you to test the plug-in two hours more on FileMaker Cloud. Note that after 12 hours the demo time is automatically reset, and you can continue testing the plug-in.
See the Version history below for a complete list of changes in this and earlier versions.
Version 4.1 for FileMaker Pro 12, 13 14 and 15 (October 27, 2016)
- Added new platform: Troi Text Plug-in is now compatible to run under FileMaker Cloud.
Note that you need the Server/Web license to register this plug-in on FileMaker Cloud. See our web site for details.
- Added new example file TextOnFMCloud.fmp12, which demonstrates how to perform the functions of the plug-in on FileMaker Cloud.
- Added new switch -ResetDemoTestTime to the TrText_Version function. In demo mode and running under FileMaker Cloud, the plug-in stops working after two hours. This switch allows you to test the plug-in two hours more. Note that after 12 hours the demo time is automatically reset, and you can continue testing the plug-in.
- Tested and made compatible with macOS Sierra (OS X 10.12).
Version 4.0.1 for FileMaker Pro 12, 13 14 and 15 (June 21, 2016)
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 15.
- Updated the Readme and example files to reflect the release of FileMaker Pro 15.
- Added description and type-ahead information for all functions of the plug-in. This extra function description will be shown in FileMaker Pro 15 in the Specify Calculation dialog box when you type a function name and also as a text popup in the functions pane on the right.
The type-ahead information is used by the auto complete functionality of FileMaker Pro 15. In the calculation pane of the Specify Calculation dialog box you can type a letter or two of the function name and instantly see a list of matching function names. You can also type a function name in the functions pane on the right.
- Other small improvements.
Version 4.0 for FileMaker Pro 12, 13 and 14 (May 4th, 2016)
- Tested and made compatible with Windows 10 and OS X 10.11 (El Capitan).
- Added 4 new functions for powerful spell checking:
-TrText_CheckSpelling, which finds the first word that is spelled wrong. You can specify the spelling language too.
-TrText_SetSpellingIgnoreList, which sets the list of words that should be ignored (during this spell check).
-TrText_LearnSpelling, which adds a word to the spell checker dictionary.
-TrText_UnlearnSpelling, which forgets a word in the spell checker dictionary.
-TrText_GetSpellingLanguages, which returns a list of all supported spelling languages on the system.
These spelling functions are available on Windows 8 and later and on all OS X versions.
- Improved the log text when running FileMaker Server: more information is added to the log.
- Improved the log text when running FileMaker Server: after an unsuccessful attempt to register, the log now adds the (incorrect) register text used.
- Improved multi-threading behaviour of the flash dialog.
- Improved the example file EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12, to provide more help when an installation error occurs.
Version 3.5 for FileMaker Pro 12, 13 and 14 (August 7th, 2015)
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 12, 13 and 14.
- Added support for 64-bit architecture with FileMaker Pro 14: on OS X the 32-bit and 64-bit version is a single universal plug-in and on Windows there are 2 plug-ins: Troi_Text.fmx (for 32-bit) and Troi_Text.fmx64 (for 64-bit).
- Added the example file EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12, with support for the 64-bit version of FileMaker Pro 14.
- Tested with OS X 10.9 Mavericks, OS X 10.10 Yosemite and Windows 8.x.
- Troi Text Plug-in is now compatible to run under FileMaker Server. The plug-in creates log files when running under FileMaker Server to make troubleshooting easier and to provide feedback regarding errors and registration status.
Note that you need a special Server/Web license to use this plug-in on FileMaker Server. See our web site for details.
- Added new switch -GetRegistrationState to the TrText_Version function: this switch allows you to check if the plug-in is currently registered.
- Added new switch “-GetPluginInstallPath” to the TrText_Version function: this switch will return the path where the plug-in is installed, for example “/Mac HD/Users/User Name/Library/Application Support/FileMaker/FileMaker Pro/14.0/Extensions/Troi_Text.fmplugin”.
- Added new switch to TrText_Version: -UnregisterPlugin. This will remove the registration data. The plug-in will be in the unregistered state after this.
- Several bug fixes and further improvements.
- Converted the example files to .fmp12 format and made various changes to the example files.
- Added new TrText_VersionAutoUpdate function. The TrText_VersionAutoUpdate function is part of a standard for FileMaker plug-ins of third party vendors of plug-ins. The version number is returned in the format aabbccdd where every letter represents a digit of the level, so versions can be easily compared.
Version 3.0.1 for FileMaker Pro 7, 8 and 8.5 (October 12th, 2006)
- The Getline function: now better supports styled text.
- Fixed a small typo in FMP6 conversion note.
Version 3.0 for FileMaker Pro 7, 8 and 8.5 (August 14th, 2006)
- Made compatible with FileMaker Pro 8.5.
- (Mac OS X) Converted to Universal plug-in which runs natively on PowerPC and Intel Macs.
- Updated the User Guide for version 3.0. We also improved the links in the table of contents, so the links now also work with the Preview application of Mac OS X.
Version 2.8.2 for FileMaker Pro 8 and 7 (August 11th, 2006)
- Final preparation for universal binary and registration handling for next release.
Version 2.8.1 for FileMaker Pro 8 and 7 (January 26th, 2006)
- Changed the SumText examples back to the original and preferred FMP7 format.
NOTE With the the release of the update of FileMaker Pro 8.0v2 the original syntax of the SumText calculation is now again working properly. As the original syntax is more general we strongly recommend to use this syntax. Please read the SumText section of the FileMaker 8 Conversion Note, which explains this in detail.
- Changed the BookIndex.fp7 example to include on the Pages.fp7 example in the same file.
Version 2.8 for FileMaker Pro 8 and 7 (03-October-2005)
- First version to be completely compatible with FileMaker Pro 8.
- Changed the SumText functions to be able work with FileMaker Pro 8.
Version NOTE The calculations in the database need to be changed to make the SumText work in FileMaker Pro 8. Please see the SumText.fp7 example file for this.
- It is now possible to have a SumText without a separator. Specify “-NoSeparator” as the parameter in the TrText_SumTextStart function.
- Fixed a problem in the GetLine function: the last character of the last line is now also returned, when no “-ReturnAtEnd” switch is used.
- (Mac OS X) Fixed a resource conflict at idle time with other plug-ins.
- Improved the Version function: the switch “-GetVersionString” now works.
- Improved the SumText functions: The first related record that is summed now always keeps its style.
- Created FileMaker Pro 8 Conversion Note (updated from the FileMaker Pro 7 version).
Version 2.7.2 for FileMaker 7 (16-August-2004)
- In the Define Calculation dialog box at the top right: added the forgotten swiches parameter in the prototypes for the function TrText_GetLine and TrTextAndText.
- Fixed a problem with registering via the version function, on Mac OS X.
- Changed the name of the plug-in, to ensure better compatibility with the autoupdate functionality of FileMaker Server. Changed spaces to underscores: On Mac OS X the plug-in now is called Troi_Text.fmplugin and on Windows: Troi_Text_Plugin.fmx.
IMPORTANT: don’t forget to remove the previous Text Plug-in.
Version 2.7.1 for FileMaker 7 (1-July-2004)
- Fixed: When looking at the preferences, the plug-in stays registered.
- (Win Fixed a problem with the plug-in not registering.
- (Mac) Improved correct display of dialog messages, like when the plug-in has stopped working.
- Improved the Sets.fp7 example.
Version 188.8.131.52 for FileMaker 7 (21-March-2004)
- (Win) made the flash dialog better.
- (Mac) added better resource file management, especially for the flash dialog.
- Improved the check for the correct plug-in in the example files, it now correctly checks for the 2.7 version.
- Improved the TrText-XORText function, it no longer includes lines with just a return.
- Improved the BookIndex.fp7 example to use the new Text Plug-in instead of the pre 7 Text Plug-in.
- Improved the tabs in the All Text Examples.fp7 file, so that they look normal when clicked.
Version 2.7 for FileMaker 7 (12-March-2004)
- Converted to new Function API of FileMaker Pro 7.
- Each function can now handle longer texts than the previous limit of 64000.
- Each function now supports Unicode characters.
Version 2.1.6 (12-March-2004)
- (Mac) Registration now also works if the registration file has a “.txt” extension at the end.
- Updated the example files.
- Fixed a memory leak.
Version 184.108.40.206 (05-June-2002)
Version NOTE The Troi Text Plug-in itself still has version 2.1!
- Included the latest regifunc.fp5 example file.
- (Mac) removed ‘carb’ resource in the plug-in, as this is no longer required and could interfere with PrintToPDF.
Version 2.1 (15-May-2001)
- Tested with FileMaker 5.5 and ported to Mac OS X. The Mac version of the plug-in is now a so called ‘Super Fat’ plug-in that will run on Mac OS 8, 9 and Mac OS X.
Version 2.0.1 (30-January-2001)
- Released as final version; no bugs found in beta.
Version 2.0b1 (27-December-2000)
- Added NOTText function.
- Added XML function.
- Added Highlight function (Mac only).
- Improved Version function. It now also can show the Flash Dialog and return a version buildnumber.
- Improved example files.
- Updated External Function Overview file.
Version 1.2.3 (10-June-1999)
- Added descending sortline.
Version 1.2.2 (27-January-1999)
- Added registration via external function.
Version 1.2 (14-July-1998)
- Added new functions: SortLines, UniqueLines, UniqueWords and GetLine
- Removed the startup flash screen. Now a flash screen is shown the first time the plug-in’s functionality is used.
- This flash screen is removed after payment of the license fee.
Version 1.0.1 (09-April-1998)
- Fixed bug that could lead to crash when not using the SumText functions correctly.
Version 1.0 (08-April-1998)
- Added ANDText and XORText.
- Added a User Guide.
Version 1.0b1 (10-March-1998 )
First public beta.
We offer the following licenses for Troi Text Plug-in:
single user, 10-user and 25-user license: these are meant for using the plug-in client-side, on FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced, including with files hosted by FileMaker Server. You need a license for every user that makes calls to the plug-in’s functions.
developer license: this license is meant for FileMaker solution developers, who want to include the plug-in with their solution(s) and distribute it to their end-users. Each of your end-users may use the plug-in with up to 25 users (contact us if any of your customers has more than 25 users). The number of organizations you distribute the plug-in to and the number of solutions you distribute it with are not limited. Works on FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced, including with files hosted by FileMaker Server.
Go to the developer license page for more info.
server/web license: this license registers the plug-in for use on FileMaker Server and FileMaker Server Advanced. You only need this license if you want to use the plug-in in server-side scripts and in web published databases. Go to the server-side plug-ins page for more info.
You also need this license if you want to use the plug-in with FileMaker Cloud.
This license has no user limit.
All licenses work both on macOS and on Windows. The server/web license also works on Linux (FileMaker Cloud).
|single user license||US $ 49 per user|
|10-user license||US $ 199|
|25-user license||US $ 299|
|developer license||US $ 299|
|server/web license||US $ 259|
Upgrading from version 4.0 is free: version 4.1 uses the same 4.0 registration code. If you bought a license on or after August 7, 2015, the upgrade to version 4.1 is also free. We have emailed all eligible customers a new 4.0 registration. Contact us if you have not received yours.
If you bought a license before August 7, 2015, you will need to buy an upgrade to use the 4.1 version:
|single user license upgrade||US $ 29 per user|
|developer license upgrade||US $ 159|
Below are a few things our users had to say about Troi Text Plug-in:
“Troi Text Plug-in is one of the most useful plug-ins on the planet.”
Robert J. Cummings, www.dbmscan.com
“I was totally stumped. I had to create a survey report listing totals of items checked in a Value List field. The field also had the “Other…” box checked so our value list could change at any time. I knew I could create a looping script to get a list of all the values in each field then go back thru and do a count for each value then put this data in a report blah blah blah… Which equals slowwwwwwwww.
I just knew there had to be a better way. I was using the Troi Text Plug-in to build my list in the above scenario, so I knew I was on to something. Then I took a look at the Book Index example provided with this gem of a plug-in. Awesome!!!
Using this template I was able to create my reports. The reports took seconds to calculate. If I didn’t have to deal with the “Other…” option my reports would only need to be built once and would be dynamic.
Thanks for your excellent examples.”
Jeff Yurka, Real Mac Solutions
“You know what… we can’t make the Cambodia National Yellow Pages without your plug-in… it works wonder for us.”
Kim Gjemmestad, Cambodia National Yellow Pages
“I just went through the once-tedious chore of getting related data processed for a client of mine. This chore is now an amazingly simple task! The solution? Troi Text Plug-in. It’s a Godsend. This plug-in allows you to create JUST ONE calculation field that automatically concatenates all the text from multiple fields in a portal! Ta-da! Thank you Peter Baanen! :)”
Scott Rose, President ScottWorld, FileMaker Pro Experts Since 1992 http://www.scottworld.com
“Thanks for the brilliant software. The Troi File and Text plug-ins keep making my work much easier.”
Eric Smith, McGill University Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“All Hail Troi-Text Plug-in (and FAXTool)!
I just wanted to relate to you our latest application of the Troi-Text plug-in. I’m using this butt-saving tool on a daily basis!.
We recently built a press-release distribution system for a Massachusetts organization to send FAXes and eMails to more than 300 newspapers in the state, regarding recycling programs in 351 towns. Since each newspaper’s readership area covers anywhere from 1 to all 351 towns, we built a relational system to manage this quite easily.
Each newspaper receives either an eMail or FAX, with a personalized cover letter/text, and a columnar table of data about recycling for all the towns only in their readership area.
Not a minor complication, we wanted to send only one eMail or FAX to each unique eMail or FAX destination, even though some newspapers share the same FAX or eMail address. We used the Troi-Text plug-in first to list all the newspapers in the ‘To’ line of the letter.
We built parallel functionality, all facilitated with the Troi-Text plug-in. FAXing (using FAXTool) was not difficult, since we simply FAXed a report layout of the related town data records for all towns associated with each of the newspapers included in a single letter.
We wanted to send a text-only press release (no attachments) that approximated the printed FAX, and were successful in converting the columnar report into monospaced text format using the Troi-Text plug-in.
We used various calculations to produce a monospaced, fixed column width text string for each line of the columnar report. Then we used the Troi-Text plug-in to gather and sort all the related file lines into one huge text field, along with the text of the letter, and sent that to our eMail client from FileMaker Pro.
Remember, since each newspaper can cover several towns, and some newspapers share an eMail address, we wanted to include those overlapping (duplicate) towns only once. We can do this on a printed/FAXed report using a summary part, and were able to reproduce the effect using the unique lines function of the Troi-Text plug-in.
It’s proven to be quite reliable, and doesn’t ‘choke’ on the fairly large number of records and huge text block that gets generated for some destinations!
I have, however, found the extremes of its capabilities. At one time I attempted to use the plug-in to create multi-key relationships which in turn were used to facilitate another dependent troi-text calculated result. Here, the plug-in choked and misbehaved, so that approach wasn’t feasible.
Once again, “Good work” and thanks.
Erik Wegweiser / Intelligent Database ( http://www.ichizen.com ), FileMaker Pro Developer, Consultant – Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance
We are still collecting more comments. If you have any remarks on the Text Plug-in please send us your comments. Thanks!
Click image to enlarge
Can you parse out XML data in FileMaker Pro in one step?
Yes, you can. Read here how.
Text Plug-in Conversion from FileMaker Pro 6
(Older) information on how to convert databases which use Troi Text from FileMaker Pro 6 to FileMaker Pro 7 and later.
Deal efficiently with text in your FileMaker Pro database!