Updated file management plug-in is compatible with FileMaker 18 and sets movie metadata.
Alphen aan den Rijn, the Netherlands, May 22, 2019–Troi today announced the immediate availability of Troi File Plug-in 11.0 for FileMaker 18.
What is Troi File Plug-in?
Troi File Plug-in is a very powerful tool for getting access to information outside the FileMaker database. Any files or folders stored on the computer can be accessed through the functions of the plug-in. All from within FileMaker you can:
- get data from files that are on the disk of the computer into FileMaker
- create files anywhere on the hard disk and put data from FileMaker fields into them
- manipulate files and folders on the disk: this includes creating, deleting, copying, moving and modifying files and folders
- get the size on disk, creation and modification dates and much more
- launch and reveal files directly from FileMaker
- manage your images and movies, including reading and writing metadata
What is new in version 11.0?
Troi File Plug-in 11.0 has the following new functionality:
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 18 and FileMaker Pro 17.0.6.
- Added new TrFile_ExportToFile function, which can save container data to disk. This function can also be used on FileMaker Server.
- Added a new TrFile_IsFree function, which can be used to determine if a file is in use by a different application (or locked).
- (macOS) Added a new Set MetaData of Movie script step and TrFile_SetMovieMetaData function, which can add metadata to movie files (like .mov and .mp4). It can add and change metadata like title, GPS and creation data.
- (macOS) Improved TrFile_CreateThumbnail function and the Create Thumbnail script step: you can now create thumbnails of movie files (like mov, mp4 etc). The plug-in creates a thumbnail of the first frame of the movie.
- (macOS) Prepared the plug-in for notarization: the plug-in can now be added to a runtime, to create a hardened FileMaker runtime app which can be notarized by Apple. Notarization gives users more confidence, as the runtime has been checked by Apple for malicious components.
- (Windows) Improved the TrFile_ExecuteShell function and the Execute Shell script step. If you use the switch “-Encoding=UTF8” the plug-in now indicates invalid UTF-8 characters with the string <INVALID UTF8>.Also Improved the ExecuteShell.fmp12 example file, you can now specify the encoding of the result of the command.
In Troi File Plug-in 11.0 we also made the following changes and improvements:
- IMPORTANT (macOS only) The minimum supported FileMaker version is now FileMaker Pro 14. Also the minimum supported Mac OS version is now OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). You can keep using v10.2 for older versions of FileMaker Pro or Mac OS X.
- (macOS) The plug-in no longer has the 32-bit code included.
- Improved the initialization when installing the plug-in with the FileMaker Pro “Install Plug-In File” script step.
- Updated the EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12 file, it can show additional error information from Get(LastExternalErrorDetail) when running on FileMaker Pro 18. The EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12 file can also run a test registration script for a plug-in after you have installed it on FileMaker Server.
- Updated the example files for FileMaker Pro Advanced 18 and made small corrections to the user guide.
- Fixed bugs in several functions.
More detailed information on all changes and improvements implemented in Troi File Plug-in 11.0 can be found on the File Plug-in page.
Pricing & Availability
A fully functional demo version of Troi File Plug-in 11.0 is available on the File Plug-in page.
Version 11.0 needs a new registration. The upgrade is free for users who bought a license for Troi File Plug-in on or after May 15, 2018. Eligible users will be sent a new registration. Contact us if you have not received yours after May 29, 2019.
Upgrades from licenses bought before May 15, 2018, are available from US$ 59 per user. Upgrade prices for other licenses can be found on the File Plug-in web page or in the shop. You can order upgrades there.