Updated serial communication plug-in is compatible with FileMaker 17 and adds direct insert function.
Alphen aan den Rijn, the Netherlands, August 6, 2018–Troi today announced the immediate availability of Troi Serial Plug-in 5.5 for FileMaker Pro 17.
What is Troi Serial Plug-in?
Troi Serial Plug-in gives FileMaker Pro easy and powerful access to external devices with a serial interface:
- read from and write to the (virtual) serial ports of the computer directly from FileMaker Pro without the need of a separate application
- native FileMaker script triggering, to get incoming data into the database
- “Suspend/Resume Serial Port” script step to temporarily suspend the incoming data stream and resume it when you are interested in the data
- “Wait for Match” function to wait for a specific text before triggering
- the possibility to open an unlimited number of serial ports and to trigger different scripts for different ports
What is new in version 5.5?
Troi Serial Plug-in 5.5 has the following new functionality:
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 17.
- Added new Serial_SetDirectInsert function to let you directly insert incoming serial data into your database. The data is inserted in the background without any script triggering. You can specify a match string, so the data is inserted only when the match string is encountered (for example wait for a return character to insert a complete line of data).
- Added switch “-GetLastMatch” to the Serial_SetDirectInsert function. When you add this switch only the last matching data is directly added to the database (based on the match string). This will provide you with the most current data from the serial port.
- Added new Set Serial Direct Insert script step, which can also add incoming serial data into your database. With the checkbox “Get Last Match” only the last matching data is directly added to the database (based on the match string).
- Added new Measure Temperature.fmp12 example, which can directly insert data from temperature sensors. It uses a serial connection with an Arduino micro computer.
- The plug-in now indicates if an external script step is compatible with a product. The step is shown in grey if it is incompatible for that product (for example for iOS) in the script editing pane (center) and the script steps pane (right).
More detailed information on all changes and improvements implemented in Troi Serial Plug-in 5.5 can be found on the Serial Plug-in page.
Pricing & Availability
A fully functional demo version of Troi Serial Plug-in 5.5 is available on the Serial Plug-in page.
Version 5.5 needs a new registration. The upgrade is free for users who bought a license for Troi Serial Plug-in on or after May 25, 2017. Eligible users will be sent a new registration. Contact us if you have not received yours after August 10, 2018.
Upgrades from a cross platform developer license bought before May 25, 2017 are available from US$ 399. You can order upgrades from our shop.